1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ep-2 live histogram not working...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by S38, Sep 10, 2011.

1. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    ..when i dial positive or negative exposure compensation. the histogram is not moving to the left or right at all...
    did olympus put a dummy histogram on the ep-2?

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Do the histogram values move at all in live view when you pan around at things of different brightness regardless of exposure compensation ?

What mode are you in ?

3. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton

Yes, they do, and i am in A mode.

4. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Just had a look on my E-P1 - looks like you're right - the live-view histogram only updates based on what it sees/measures not what you'd like to photograph (eg it doesn't alter based on EV changes).

So it looks like its by design and not a fault.

5. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    just found out that if you turn the LV Boost off the histogram will reflect the EC changes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    While messing with the menus I discovered Multi-view will show four LiveView thumbnails at different WB or EQ levels simultaneously. Pretty nifty.

I'll have to mess around with LV Boost now . . .

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Might want to check to make sure Auto ISO is OFF as well...

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I was thinking about this behavior and have come to the conclusion that the histogram is being generated from the screen, and not directly from the incoming light on the sensor (raw data). It's a subtle difference I suppose, but it means that they're grabbing the already processed pixel info from the viewer to build the light intensity values for the histogram. That's why LV Boost skews the Histogram because the screen is no longer showing the same thing that's going to be captured in the picture.

This approach is a good thing if you're using one of the jpeg scene modes as the histogram always reflects the end result. It's perhaps less of a good thing if you're trying to understand the specifics of your lighting situation in RAW for optimal post processing.

9. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    your conclusion makes a lot of sense...i think you are right.

i wish olympus would come up with firmware to "fix" that...