EP-2 Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 21, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    4/3 rumours is reporting that both the EP-2 and Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4mm lens have been discontinued.

The PL25mm is not surprising, since Panasonic doesn't have a current 4/3 body and the 25mm m4/3 lens is on its way. But the EP-2 is a bit of a surprise. That leave Olympus with a single body in the m43 category with the EPL-2 versus at least four bodies (GF-2, G10, G3 and GH-2) plus the remaining GF1 and G2 stocks.

Hopefully this will mean the imminent release of a new Olympus m 4/3 body. Because it sure is overdue.

Gordon

thanks to 43rumors.com

2. evokin

evokin New to Mu-43

May 13, 2011
    Lucky I'm holding out on getting the E-PL2 and currently enjoying my E-PL1. Will love to see what will be heading our way.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-3 was also discontinued a month or two before the release of the E-5. The E-P3 is rumored to be released in June, so this only strengthens that timeline.

I figure they think the E-PL2 will satisfy most potential E-P2 customers for now, and the E-PL2 kind of makes the E-P2 a redundant expense... I have to admit that I totally agree. I didn't like the E-PL1 at all but when the E-PL2 came out I gladly "downgraded" from the E-P series and couldn't be happier! The next E-P camera will have to raise the bar a lot to keep its standing as a distinct breed above the E-PL.

4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    43 Rumors | Blog | (Downgraded from FT3 to FT2) UPDATED: Olympus E-P3 and E-PL3 to be announced on June 3? And mini Olympus model.

I just hope that their rumours about the possible new cameras aren't true. Which is E-P3 and E-PL3 with 12MP sensor and no built in viewfinder. Also, you guessed it, a "mini" version.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

what to do

is anyone else getting a little nervous? the e-p2 price has plummeted all of a sudden. I can't help but feel a little cheated here, with the e-pl2 already having 'trumped' the e-p2 in some ways. It held its value for so long and now it's discarded like obsolete tech.

I do still enjoy shooting with the e-p2, my only m43 cam, but I am also slightly disappointed with sensor noise and DR. If the e-p3 has an updated sensor, I won't be able to afford it without selling the e-p2+14-42 (assuming I can keep the vf-2 for e-p3).

Can't sell it before knowing the final specs either . Maybe can't sell it at all if both e-pl2 and e-p3 are on the market. I probably shouldn't worry so much, seeing as it's all rumours but please, share your thoughts on this..

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I only wish the VF-2 would be 'discarded like obsolete tech' and come into my price range! -I'd gladly snap up an e-P2 in that case.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

obviously it won't be, seeing as it's compatible with the xz-1 as well. Personally I don't believe for a second that the next Pens will have integrated viewfinders.

8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    43 Rumors | Blog | (FT4-FT5) Also Olympus will make a very small PEN. And the E-P3 is "PRO"!

Todays "updated" rumour is that there will be two new m4/3 cameras from Olympus. A smaller one, presumably a response to the GF2 and GF3 and an E-P3, with a "pro" designation. Disregarding the "pro" bit, which could mean anything, this makes more sense. The E-PL2 is fairly recent so it seemed unlikely that would be replaced. However the E-P2, which is basically the E-P1 with an accessory port, has been around for a while. So an upgrade is very much on the cards.

Hopefully Olympus have done a deal with Panasonic to use either the GH2 or G3 sensor, though Olympus do go on about 12MP being satisfactory for them, so that might not happen.

Integrated viewfinder? Well maybe, but the VF-2 is pretty decent, and they may decide to leave that as is without attempting to get it into the body.

Weathersealing? Pretty pointless since no m4/3 lenses are weather sealed and I can't really see that being a priority.

So what might we expect? Faster AF, better high ISO performance, no matter what the MP count, maybe a more pronouced grip and a bundled kit with a fast prime. The 12mm f/2 may make its appearance. I wouldn't be surprised either if it was slightly smaller than the E-P2, which does seem to be the trend.

Like others, a rangefinder styled, 16MP, integrated viewfinder camera is what I'd love to see. Basically an X100 with interchangeable lenses. This may however be wishful thinking.

We should get something soon however. It is well overdue.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol! I pre-ordered my E-P1 PEN at $1,000 a month before they arrived in Canada. The E-P2 came in just 6 months later and provided everything the E-P1 had PLUS EVF and external mic, making the E-P1 obsolete in just half a year. Y'know what though? I knew that was coming because all the talk about the coming PEN camera indicated that people really wanted an EVF on it. The E-P1 was more of a prototype in my eyes, but it was the first of its kind ever made. EVF or no EVF, I needed that body to build a compact kit around, so I was more than happy to pay a premium for it. Plus the $200 for the Panasonic Four-Thirds mount adapter (the Olympus one was $250 at the time).

I'm perfectly pleased with the noise of the E-PL2. Check out my thread here: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-pl2-iso-3200-a-12483/
    The physical sensor was not changed, it's what's around the sensor to support it which has found all the changes. The AA filter has been weakened to the point of being almost clear (if it's the same as the E-5 as they claim), and what allows that to happen is the more advanced Image Processing Engine which takes over what the AA filter is supposed to do. People tend not to pay attention to the system as a whole, and instead focus on the physical sensor size and tolerances, testing it with sites like Dx0Mark to see how "the sensor" performs. There's a lot more to a system than just that, as the E-5 and E-PL2 performance clearly shows. I think you'll see a lot more advancement in recent Olympus imaging technology than you realize, if you step away from the specs and look at real-world performance. The core may still be "the same 12MP sensor", but the imaging system is not the same.