EP-2 autofocus with 20mm F1.7 issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonboy62, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I just received a 20mm pancake and discovered that it will autofocus in S-af only in iAUTO (but not in the other modes) or by C-af in all modes, P,A,S..
    Firmware is up to date.

Is this an anomoly or correct for this lens and camera? I don't care for the continuous focus hunt.

Jon

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I have watched Brian's tutorial. I have gone thru every setting, re-setting I can think of to no avail..

Do you suppose the lens is defective?

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking it must be.

Can you post some photos by either uploading to the gallery and inserting here or if you use Flickr...you can post here and we can read the EXIF data? I'm just wondering if it might help - sort of grasping at straws.:confused:

5. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I have also noticed a clicking noise from the lens when it is in S-af (but does not focus) that is similar to the noise it makes when it does focus in C-af.

I am going to send it back to Adorama for and exchange/repair.

6. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Panasonic 20mm problem with Focus

Hello, I left you a reply on DPR. I've also had problems with this lens on the EP2!

7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Have you checked that the contacts in your lens are clean? have you any problems with any of the other lenses you use?

Cheers

Brian

8. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Well. I was just about to write that the kit lens works fine, but alas it seems to be the camera. The 14-42 behaves the same way. Damn!

So I am off to Olympus so see what they say.

9. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I will stand for a figurative butt-kicking.

My almost 64 year old wife/gramma/techie asks what I am fussing about and says "did you try a reset?" Duh!

All better now. Thanks to you all with your efforts to help. Start with the simple stuff and work up... that's my new motto!

Jon

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ahhhhhh, The Wife thingy...hmmmm mine is always right too...don't feel bad...

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Kudos to your wife, jonboy! Now start enjoying that E-P2 and its lenses.:wink:

12. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The clicking sound is the aperture opening and closing. This is a quirk of the Panasonic lenses on the Olympus cameras but most noticable in the 20mm f/1.7 as it is more likely to do it due to the wider aperture and the lens itself is very noisy (mechanically). I guess that the camera is trying to limit excess light to the sensor.

It doesn't affect the performance of the lens other than in very low light where it tends to take exposure readings stopped down to around f/2.8. This means a darker LCD and less sensitive metering. Exposure readings still seem fair enough.

13. generationally

generationally New to Mu-43

May 27, 2010
    Is this only supposed to happen with Panasonic lenses? I get quite a lot of clicking (aperture adjusting itself) with the Olympus 17mm f2.8 and a bit also with the kit lens 14-42mm on my E-P1. Also when clicking happens the LCD live view picture freezes for a split second. Anyone seeing the same thing?

14. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I don't know. I don't hear it on either of my Olympus lenses (14-42 and 9-18) but I cannot hear the aperture on either of those (my hearing is not perfect) so it could well be. It would make sense.

The Panasonic 20mm lens is one very noisy lens. I also have the Panasonic 45-200 zoom and it also does the aperture thing but it is less frequent as the lens only starts at f/4-5.6 so misses the closing down to f/2.8 which is what the 20mm lens likes to do at rest in poor light.

15. generationally

generationally New to Mu-43

May 27, 2010
    Yes, the clicking sound is not very audible. I only noticed it due to the freezing of the LCD liveview and looking through the lens and seeing the aperture close and open.

It only seems to happen when lighting conditions change a lot. I can trigger it by repeatingly putting/taking away the hand in front of the lens. In practical use cases it is not really a problem.

16. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    For anyones' memory bank; Mike the tech from Olympus suggested a remedy (just the one I found on my own) for the problem. Put the camera in P and run the custom reset.

He found that when the battery is removed when the camera is on it causes a firmware glitch that affects autofocus.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BBW

Never remove the battery w/ camera on

jonboy, I didn't realize you'd removed the batter with the camera on - and I'm glad it only caused a software glitch! Phew!

So now you're all set and ready to roll!:2thumbs:

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Wow. I'm suprised thats all that happens. Removing a battery while a device on can be disasterous. I did this once with a cell phone...bad idea.

19. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Interesting tip... did you try the custom reset in any other mode? I wonder why it needs to be in P?

Cheers

Brian

20. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    To clarify, the tech wrote that removing the battery while the camera was on would cause this malady.
    I don't usually change a battery or remove a memory card without turning off the camera, and don't remember if I DID take the battery out while on. I do know better, so who knows.
    I also don't remember what program setting I was on when I got the reset to work; I got the camera reset before I got the email from Olympus telling me there was the solution I had found.

So, thanks for all the gentle concern about my battery habits... all's well that ends well.

Jon

• Like Like x 1