1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP-2 auto exposure bracketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by flatop222, Jul 12, 2010.

1. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I have fairly well decided that I will be buying an EP-2 unless Olympus announces something at Photokina (https://www.mu-43.com/f66/photokina-rumors-2133/) to change my mind. In reading the PDF version of the EP-2 manual, I see that the shutter button must be held down for the 3 auto exposure bracket used as an example.

My question: does the shutter actually fire 3 times with different exposures or does the software make the 3 exposures after one shutter firing?

Since I do not like to use a tripod, I am hoping the camera does only one shutter firing.

George

2. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Real exposures, not software manipulation

Well, my E-P1 takes real exposures at different shutter speed, aperture, or ISO as chosen. Does the E-P2 manual say about bracketing what the E-P1 manual says: "In sequential shooting, hold down the shutter button until the selected number of frames are taken."

Wonderful camera, but auto-bracketing is a pain. User must go through menu levels to turn on bracketing AND separately go into menus to set the shutter button to be sequential (or "continuous" as opposed to single). Then user must go through all the menus again to get back to no-bracketing and single shot.

3. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The camera will fire three times in very rapid sucsession.

in P mode - apeture and shutter speed change;
    in A mode - shutter speed changes;
    in S mode - apeture changes

The E-Px's can do 3 fps stills, so it's handholdable, but braced is better.
    Any fast movement in the scene will be misaligned however.

I have found that just taking one image, at a sensible exposure, it is possible to use Photoshop or Lightroom et al. to adjust the levels, and the resultant image can be saved - and if desired - merged with the original, to give the high dynamic range offered by exposure bracketing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Thank you,

George

5. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    No problem, and good luck with your purchace.