EP-1 w/ viewfinder & Flash OR GF1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SS32, Jul 28, 2010.

1. SS32

SS32 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2010
    Right now, the EP-1 can be had with a viewfinder and the FL-14 for around the same price as a GF1 with the pancake lens. I've been researching all day and still cannot come to a decision. The lack of a built in flash and image stabilization sways me toward the GF1, but considering I can get a viewfinder AND a flash with the EP-1 makes it that much more enticing. I need to make a decision tomorrow. I'm leaving for Europe at the end of next week and don't want to lug my DSLR around, plus my P&S died in January and I've been wanting to replace it with a M43. Anyone have some words of wisdom for me?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

With the E-P1 it will be flash OR viewfinder - not both.

3. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    E-P1 has in-body IS, whereas GF1 doesn't. I was pretty happy with using the GF1 with 20mm pancake. Focusing and composing with the high-res LCD was pretty easy.

Though I have decided to swap it out for a E-PL1 instead. Providing you don't need remote release or 1/4000s shutter speed, it has flash (GN7), possibility of using the OVF or EVF and also in-body IS. I feel that the latter features are especially indispensable if you ever manual focus with legacy lenses.

4. SS32

SS32 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2010
    What I meant is that it ships with the viewfinder and flash.

5. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    It seems to me that the GF1+pancake lens+EVF would be the more flexible setup unless you don't intend to add any more lenses.

6. SS32

SS32 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2010
    Yes, that would be the best, but also way over my budget. I ended up ordering the EP-1 with a viewfinder and pancake for $600, not a bad price at all IMO.

7. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    You're right, that's a great price. I hope you have a fantastic time in Europe with it.:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.