1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EP-1 question: long exposure NR

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by agentlossing, Oct 27, 2014.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I was shooting some night shots last night with my EP1 and noticed that the long exposure NR wasn't kicking in even though a few of the shots were in excess of 5 or 6 seconds. I went into the (ugly, complicated, jumbled) menu to look for a setting but the only one regarding noise seems to be the "Noise Filter" setting, which I've set to OFF as I don't want regular jpeg NR. Does this setting also turn off the long exposure NR or was I perhaps just under the threshhold for triggering it? I was also shooting at ISO 100 if that matters.

I will check the manual as well, just thought I'd pick the brains of any experienced EP1 users.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can set it to kick in at certain shutter settings typically (I had an EP1..have EM5 now). Can't say I used EP1 for long exposures...but you want the noise filer on Auto or On for this...if it allows you to set it for whatever seconds you want (I set mine for 2sec +).. set it to that and auto..wont affect your regular JPg shooting. The JPG NR is a separate setting...Noise reduction. Noise filter is the dark frame subtraction (I'm 99% sure...going on memory). Also turn IS off when using a tripod.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Noise Reduction is what you want. Set it from auto to on to force it's action. Sequential shooting disables any Noise Reduction.

Gears G menu.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Got it, so I merely hadn't waded far enough into the menus! And here I thought I was getting to know the camera's complicated personality pretty well...