EP-1 or EPL-1 help please

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jake, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    I am thinking of switching form my E-600 to either of the mentioned models.
    I just have a couple of queries.
    I know the specs of both cameras but what i need to know are.........
    1. Is the fit on flash for the Ep1 superior to the pop up flash of the EpL-1? I will probably be using the flash more than not so this is a key factor for me.
    2. I like the iguide on the EPL-1 but can you basically do the same thing on the EP-1...............see how the picture will look prior to shooting- the only difference being that you have to use a few more menu's.
    Would it be silly to buy an EP-1 now that the EPL-1 is out considering they can be had for the same price?
    Im not really fussed about one touch record or the accesories port.
    Many thanks.:smile:
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

First of all, welcome to mu-43.com, Jake! Glad you found your way here. As you see, I've moved your thread into the Olympus forum because you are, after all, asking about two Olympus cameras.

I was under the impression that the E-PL1's controls were much simpler and more "direct" (as in no need for submenus) than the other two E-P's controls - but I may be wrong on this.

No doubt someone more knowledgeable will come along and offer their advice as the day or evening wears on.

Glad to have you aboard and hope you can get the help you need to make your decision.
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Jake,

welcome to the forum! I hope that you will make yourself at home here :friends:

no, I don't think the fit on flash is better than the built in flash... which has a nice feature of being tiltable even to the vertical position.

Shooting with either cam will involve a learning curve... the E-PL1 has the better zoom controls for focus assist, but reportedly has a slightly less effective stabilisation system.

The E-P1 has electronic levels, a slightly larger LCD and a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec...

The E-PL1 has that built in flash (which will control multiple external flashes) and has a really fast focus assist zoom button... plus of course the EVF port so it's a great choice for legacy lens shooters.

4. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    Sorry for posting in the wrong section..............and thank you for the warm welcome.
    I am in the process of trying to sell my E600 to fund my move.
    Any more advice opinions greatly appreciated.
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Have you looked at them both and held them in your hands yet? I think that is very important when buying a camera, though I know it's not always possible.

I haven't seen the E-PL1 yet, so can't really speak to it. Have you perused the other threads in this section... Sometimes it helps to read other people's questions and responses.

No problem about the wrong forum!
  6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I tested out a P1 for a few days. It was remarkable. However after closer analysis and consideration, I have returned it to order a PL1. From all I've seen thus far it would appear the PL1 has at least a 1 stop advantage in noise (less of it) at higher ISO. The flash to me became a real issue, I NEED it on board, and don't want some wart adding to the bulk of the camera. Indeed the in camera adjustments added to the PL1 are sweet as well. (Shadow and highlight adjustments, defocus of background etc.). Just too much of an advancement to pass up. Needless to say the $100 less was appealing as well. Gave me enough to get a nice B+W circular polarizer and a bag for the PL1 as well. I'll probably also order the Aki Asahi leather like covering for the camera as well.:2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1