EP-1 or EP-2 ?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Christilou, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I have made the decision to trade in my GH1 14-140 mm in exchange for either of the above. I also much prefer to use a viewfinder. I know that the EP-2 has a great EVF but I wonder if I would be satisfied with the VF1 optical viewfinder on the EP1 as obviously the EP-1s are a bit cheaper than the newer EP-2. What angle of view would I get if I were not using the 17mm pancake that the VF1 was designed for? Thanks for anyone's input.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The finder for the 17mm is for that lens only. It only shows a frame line. It is not the same as the EVF'.s No electronic info is seen. If you like the EVF get a Pen 2. If you don't care about them, get the Pen 1 as I did. Manual focus lenses are better with the Pen 2 and the EVF....
    shooter

3. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thanks Streetshooter. I would probably have to go for the EP-2 then. I have a Zuiko 50 mm macro lens that I would like to keep using and by all accounts I would have to manual focus as it's already quite slow on the four thirds cameras, so that's food for thought too. Its a pity because I don't like the look of the EP-2 viewfinder at all, it spoils the look of the camera, still, needs must I guess :smile:

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Remember that the viewfinder comes off the Pen 2. You only put it on when you need it.
    I have many manual lenses. I have G1 that I use them on. I don't like the G1 form so I will sell it and get a Pen 2 if I decide to use the manual lenses....right now I don't feel that pressure at all.....
    The Pen 1 w/20 is it!

• Like Like x 2
  5. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    For actual macro use, I'd have thought that the LCD would be good enough most of the time.

For other purposes you could get a 100mm or 90mm viewfinder and depend on the screen for focusing ... yes, this does sound rather a pain. Why not just hang on to the GH1?

6. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    To answer your question about the GH1, well, I already have an Olympus E420 and the size is not dissimilar. The Pana 14-140 mm lens is actually quite heavy and I'd like to have an unobtrusive and lightweight camera for travel. I am used to the Olympus colours, they seem to me to be much warmer and somehow richer. I used the GH1 on my last trip in October and some of the photos had a horrible yellow cast and the white skin tones were all quite ruddy. I only shot JPEG as I have Aperture and no amount of pp would get rid of this. Also, I just like change :biggrin: