EP-1 or EP-2 if you have the money for either??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kstevieh, Feb 7, 2010.

1. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    I have saved enough money for either an EP-1 or EP-2.

I could get and EP-1 and a few more lenses for the price of just the kit EP-2. But the EP-2 has what seems to be a pretty good EVF. I probably could get by without it but I think it would be great to have the EVF

If you could get either one what you get?

Thanks for opinions

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It really depends on how much you value a viewfinder. The EVF on the E-P2 is probably the best on m4/3 so far and is sharp and clear. I find it indispensable, but if you can live without it, then the E-P1 is fine.

3. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I don't find the EVF indispensable and would therefore choose the E-P1 (I like the silver retro design also).
    I would only upgrade if a proper EVF was built in..

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I'd recommend the E-P1 + mZD 14-42 kit, and use the cash you saved to add the Lumix 20mm f1.7

The EVF is nice, but only really essential if you're long sighted and need an eye level viewfinder with diopter adjustment imho.

Cheers

Brian

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Any idea how much is a new unused secondhand 14 42 lens worth?

It seems that quite a few people, once they have the 20mm 1.7 are just not using the kit zoom, (no matter how good), and then aspire to the long reach zoom

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, I have no idea... I would definitely keep and carry the mZD 14-42 for the close focusing macro capability, and flexibility of having a collapsible zoom lens.

E-P1 + mZD 14-42
    1/1250s f/6.3 at 42.0mm iso400
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Brian

7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    will the 45 200 do that

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't know, but it would be a heck of a lot bulkier.

Cheers

Brian

9. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Unless money is no object I would take Brians advice (although I didn't lol)

I got the EP2 and although haven't had chance to get out much I haven't as of yet used the viewfinder and found the LCD more than adequate. I did take Brians advice and got the Panny 1.7, it is on my EP2 all of the time so far.

So if I was buying again I would more than likely get the EP1 and put the money saved in glass

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I prefer to use an eye level vf and would go with the e-p2

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

kstevieh, I'm not sure if you have actually had a chance to hold each of these cameras in your hand and try them out in a store or not? For me it made a big difference to have the EVF, granted I wear glasses (for everything, what we call "progressive lenses" here in the USA). If you can, go try them both out for yourself. You can always wait on adding more lenses, if you found you'd prefer the EVF with the E-P2.

I want to add that although I hadn't used a camera with a view finder in a very long time (over 10 years), I found that the E-P2 with its EVF was a completely natural move. I also like having the option of using the camera both with and without, too, though thus far 99% of the time it's been with the EVF. Different strokes for different folks and all that.:wink:

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I sold one for £145 on ebay.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Just to clarify - my advice is to someone on a tight budget - if you can afford the E-P1deluxe (aka the E-P2) then by all means treat yourself. :cloud-9-039:

Cheers

Brian

14. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I would agree with Brian here - if budget is a concern, then the EP1 is a great camera. I sold mine to get the EP2 (but my better half leaves me on a pretty free budget for my toys as long as I continue to work) primarily to get the EVF.
    Having said that - if you like using older MF lenses, or stuff like a Lensbaby, then the EVF to me is much easier to manual focus than using the LCD.
    Steve

15. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Steve - how does the VF1 compare with the EVF on the EP-2

The VF 1 is optical isn't it - how does that work? - does it have "bright lines" like RF view finders - I am looking to buy an EP-1 body but I do want a viewfinder

16. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I have to agree with all... I had the GF1 and EP1 and personally I played with the EVF on the EP2 and was hooked... than again I shoot more with legacy lenses and I just can't get into focusing with the LCD.. Just me..

17. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Bill, exactly. It's a old school rangefinder add-on device. It has brightlines for the pancake's field of view.
    Is it enough? I don't know. It depends on your style of shooting.
    But it's a must to shoot comfortable and precise when you want to adapt manual focus lenses via adapter.
    Another advantage is the more stable position with the contact to the forehead. Plus the IS in-camera you need no Leica Noctilux....:rolleyes:

If you have at the moment a back-screen camera, then just use this screen exclusively for a month or so and decide......

For me the upgrade from the EP-1 was ok, a silver EP-1/EV1 sits on the shelf and must go....

18. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    How much do you want for your EP1???

I'm shooting Formula one in a few months... And as an experiment I'm going to just use the EP2 with a 180 2.8 Zeiss lens and wanted a second body to use a wide angle..

This will only be for Practice day as I can't afford to miss a shot during the race...

19. ptomsu

ptomsu New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I only have the EP2 and I am more than happy with it and my 2 lenses - 14-42 and 17.

The EVF is exceptional!

20. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Peter, Du Altes Haus!*
    Dir noch ein "Erfolgreiches & Gesundes 2010!" Bernd
    (Auch mit Pen2)

* Long time fellow from the Leica forum...:thumbup: