1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EP-1 Just Sayin...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAXTING, Oct 10, 2012.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I picked up my first M43 camera (GX-1) in June and I've been going strong and loving it. The GX-1 started acting up so I decided to send it in while it was still under warranty. Hmm I thought, what a great time to look at picking up a second body.

Honestly couldn't decide what I wanted, but after reading posts here I decided it best to try out an Oly body. I got a great deal on an EP-1 from a member here and after receiving it I immediately began learning the menus and camera.

Yea its older, it's slower, it's pretty noisy, and at first I was frustrated how different everything was. The GX-1 for me is fast, effortless, and very predictable. The EP-1 is the exact opposite, and suddenly I love it.

I know it's not new, and requires somewhat more awareness of my surroundings on my part and it did take some getting used to. I'm just finding that my Oly images have so much more of an emotional feel to them. Not blaming the GX-1, but I have so much more of an understanding of what's in front of the lens now.

Im very excited to get my GX-1 back, but I didnt expect to be smitten by the EP-1, and now I can't undo it. :biggrin:

I love this thing and will definitely be torn if I buy a new M43 anytime soon.

I just wanted to share/rant my personal experience. A couple recent Oly/P20 1.7 images below.

PA040107 by BAXTING, on Flickr

PA040012 by BAXTING, on Flickr

• Like Like x 8
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    E-P1 really is a great camera. I have a love/hate relationship to that little thing. Yes I have missed some shots due to its slow focusing and not so good low light performance. Still I think working around those flaws is an educating process that will make me a better photographer. Enjoy your time with the original digital PEN! Nice photos by the way.

3. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I have a similar relationship with the E-PL1

It's ugly, quirky and tough as old boots. I use it as a back-up for my OMD, which is light years ahead in many respects. However, the E-PL1 produces sharp, gritty output which I really like, it's very reliable (I've used it in the desert in temperatures up to 50 degrees +), has a nice grip and feel and it does what it's designed to do. It's appealing to me in a utilitarian kind of way, the complete opposite of the OMD, it just works :smile:
    I've even ordered the VF3 (having sold the VF2) so I can use it more again, dual shooting with the OMD. If I lost it or broke it (unlikely!) I could easily replace it with another. There's something to be said about these older models, they're so cheap and easy to obtain they make great back-up cameras IMHO.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The E-P1 has some mojo in it. Enjoy it while you have it. There's something special about coaxing out great shots from that quirky little camera.

5. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I can understand you!
    I got an E-PL2 only recently because it was a steal. I prefer its output to all other m4/3, except maybe the OM-D. Still, the improvements are not as significantly as I imagined them to be. I regularly use a D700 and a 5DIIT and IMO it's only those FF cams that offer a significant upgrade in terms of IQ worth their money (used).
    It's small, handles great and looks amazing. Since I don't need fast AF, or even AF for that matter, and always stay true to base ISO I can do without all the bells of recent gear.

6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    think you are finding the layout, ergonomics of the EP1.

THe same reason I like my Ricoh GRD camera. The weight,
    construction adn handling. Button layout etc. Although the quality
    of the sensor is not the best these days.

I guess as they say. Its the "complete package" which makes the camera's
    mojo.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The E-P1 is STILL an amazing camera. I took a few of my all-time favorite shots with it. As technology keeps moving forward, the images seem to start all looking the same. The E-P1 files have a definite "look" to them that is much different (and to my eye much more appealing).

I probably shoulda kept it, but I'm glad to see it's being put to good use.

8. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I've been considering selling my EP-1 but I have decided to keep it as a backup for my EM5. I'll be selling my GH2 instead. There is just something about the EP-1 which appeals to me.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Glad youre enjoying it. I definitely had a love-hate relationship with the camera. Quirky and frustrating but wonderful output and emotionally appealing. I couldnt stand getting rid of mine completely and gave it away to my Dad so i can still have visitation rights. :p

Someday i may pick up an ep3 which would have a better upside and none of the quirks..basically what the ep1 should have been!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup, slap a 100mm f2.8 Nikon Series E or a Nokton 25mm f0.95 and let the magic happen!

11. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Or a 50/1.4 Zuiko. My favourite walk around lens! Rivals Summilux in my opinion.

12. The E-P1 was my first introduction to Micro 4/3, but sadly when it comes to cameras you can't keep 'em all.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's no surprise the OP fell in love with the images from the E-P1. Many of us on this site, including myself, own both Panasonic and Olympus micro four-thirds cameras and glass. Generally, I prefer the ergonomics and controls of the Pannys. But I love the default settings and colors from the Olys. The lenses are a toss-up: Both have some excellent glass worthy of inclusion in your kit.

Although I currently own a GX1 myself, generally my more DSLR-like bodies have been Pannys and my rangefinder-type bodies have been Olys. I eagerly await the replacement for the E-P3, which is rumored to have an built-in EVF. If that's the case, then that may be the only micro four-thirds body that I really need.

To the OP: Keep your eyes peeled for a brand-new, leftover E-P2 at fire sale prices. It has all you like about the E-P1 plus faster auto-focusing and it can use the external EVF:

Olympus E-P2 Quick Review: Digital Photography Review

Cameta Camera has the E-P2 body-only for $219 and not many are left:

Amazon.com: Olympus Pen E-P2 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera Body (Black): OLYMPUS: Camera & Photo

• Like Like x 1
  14. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Thank you for the info Biro!

and thank you Luke for the great deal! It has found a good home.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    jupiter-3_web.
    Just Sayin'... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm doing my best.

e-P1 & 17mm : still my most used camera.

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I hardly use my E-P1 at all these days as I try to thrash about finding the "right" camera for me (GX1 currently in the lead).

However, rather than sell or store the E-P1, I find it to be a very attractive item to display on one of our kitchen counters. There it resides, with 17mm lens mounted, waiting to be grabbed for a quick shot here or there but otherwise enjoying semi-retirement...!

• Like Like x 2