EOS M no longer sold in US?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/05/canon-eos-m-vanishes-from-canon-usa-web-site/

It wasn't the hottest seller for Canon, but it does seem another indication that the US is an almost impossible market for mirrorless cameras, no matter how well regarded the brand may be. On the other hand, this could be taken as an opportunity by others, with one less brand to compete with. I'll bet Sony takes advantage of this before the others.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It also wasn't their strongest effort. Looking back, it almost looks like Nikon and Canon self sabotaged their products (M and One).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It also wasn't their strongest effort. Looking back, it almost looks like Nikon and Canon self sabotaged their products (M and One).

You mean produce a camera with the sole intent of making mirrorless look bad, so that their traditional SLRs appear standout and better value for money; thus giving the impression that all mirrorless cameras are poor cousins to SLRs? :thumbup:

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You mean produce a camera with the sole intent of making mirrorless look bad, so that their traditional SLRs appear standout and better value for money; thus giving the impression that all mirrorless cameras are poor cousins to SLRs? :thumbup:

:tongue: That's what it looks like doesn't it? The thing is how do they see that as being viable? Maybe they thought no one was a real competitor? As much as I love SLRs, I really do, mirrorless is the superior technology in the end, it will win.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
The Nikon 1 has some really cool features and in my opinion still has the best implementation of hybrid on-sensor PDAF focusing. The lenses are also well built and sharp. Saying that, I just don't find the Aptina sensor that good. I kinda wish Nikon went with an M43 sized sensor.

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
using the EOS M next to other mirrorless, it just was not there. I did not enjoy using it.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not horribly surprised, not a great camera. Looking at the good old rumor mill with the patent watchers, a pellicle mirror (last year sometime patent filed) camera is far more likely considering the 70d. Pair that sensor tech with the old EOS RT design could make sense.

They will react, but with what I have no clue, hopefully it's good product.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Pellicle mirror cameras etc have been around for ages, Canon actually made the first one nearly 50 years ago and Sony have been using them in their Alpha series. What's the new patent?

I think I found it. The patent is about a mirror that can have its transmission controlled electronically, so for viewing it puts all/most of the light to the viewfinder and when exposing, it puts all/most of the light to the sensor. Why on earth introduce such complexity when a mirrorless system is so much simpler and far more versatile, especially when he PDAF issue is clearly being resolved?

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Canon and Nikon need to stick with what they do best. They both better up their game though. If they don't keep their DSLRs on a total upward slope then they will get passed by the "other" guys.

zlatko-photo

Mu-43 Veteran
No, there is no conspiracy to make mirrorless look bad. The M is just a so-so first generation product, perfect for some people but not what many are looking for. Canon has an excellent and popular product line, but they don't make something for every photographer. No manufacturer does.

svtquattro

Mu-43 Veteran
Won't miss it one bit. If it had a Pentax or Olympus badge on it, I imagine the press would have crapped on it more and sales would have been 20% of what they were. Such is life as one of the big two....

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'll take internal corporate politics for 500.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pellicle mirror cameras etc have been around for ages, Canon actually made the first one nearly 50 years ago and Sony have been using them in their Alpha series. What's the new patent?

I think I found it. The patent is about a mirror that can have its transmission controlled electronically, so for viewing it puts all/most of the light to the viewfinder and when exposing, it puts all/most of the light to the sensor. Why on earth introduce such complexity when a mirrorless system is so much simpler and far more versatile, especially when he PDAF issue is clearly being resolved?

To save the lens line up which binds Canon users to their system.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I had the M for a while. It was so close to being really good. If the AF had been up to Canon's usual standards, the only real problem (for some) would have been the lack of an optional EVF. Nice size, great IQ, very nice touch screen interface, and at least one really good pancake lens.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I remember Canon talking about the EOS M in a way that actually distanced it from other mirrorless offerings. They wanted it to be THE camera in their lineup that captured all those people fleeing compacts for other SLRs. By offering a camera that had the layout of a compact, but changeable lenses like an SLR, they thought it would scoop up the majority of people fleeing compact P&S'ers...

It just didn't turn out that way.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No, there is no conspiracy to make mirrorless look bad. The M is just a so-so first generation product, perfect for some people but not what many are looking for. Canon has an excellent and popular product line, but they don't make something for every photographer. No manufacturer does.

I never had an M, so I can't say there is a conspiracy over at Canon, but there IS one on the Nikon side. The J series could have been near perfect if they issues some firmware updates, but they didn't want enthusiasts using the cameras, and it shows.

Latest threads

Top Bottom