Entry level m43

nimenion

New to Mu-43
Hi! My daughter wants to buy a camera, and I saw a Pen E-PM2 kit for 399 €, including a 40-140 lens.

The body does not have complete "easy" PASM access, but... well... pros and cons... if you've got one :)

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
The E-PM2 is an excellent camera. I have one. You get the same image quality as Olympus's E-M5. If I'm reading you correctly and the offer for the E-PM2 includes both the 14-42mm kit lens and the 40-150mm telephoto lens, that's a great deal. If your daughter doesn't really need most of the external controls of the similar E-PL5, then the camera is just fine. With the E-PM2, you dive into the menus a bit more often because there are fewer dials and buttons outside. But I've never found it to be a problem. Also, if you eventually get aroound to buying the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake, it makes a very small and jacket-pocketable package when mounted on the E-PM2. Hope this helps. Good luck.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have one as well, its my favorite M43 camera to date. Small, fun to use, great touchscreen and its blazing fast. Once you get familiar with the menu structure you will be fine, plus you can link a button to your "Myset"

WasOM3user

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
The touchscreen makes the reduced number of external controls much less of an issue than the previous EPM-1 (or EPL-3 for that matter). The sensor is better than the older models too, especially as light levels drop.

The 40-150 performs far better than it"s price would suggest so I would recommend the "Twin kit".

Both mine and my friend"s daughters have EPL-3 & twin zooms and both love them so the even better quality and touch screen should be just the ticket.

The other option (in the UK) is the Panasonic G5. There are a few good deals around but might be just a bit more for a "twin kit".

This would give you IQ above the EPM-1 but below the EPM-2. However you would gain more external controls, improved video and built in flash and viewfinder in a slightly larger body.

They are both good cameras.

I would suggest, if possible let her hold both before deciding as soon as my daughter picked up a G3 she hated the size and wanted the Pen.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
E-PM2

With E-PM2 it literally takes a second to change the PASM! One click ("Menu") to get the options and then one or down button once or twice and that's it. The lack of dedicated switch for it isn't an excuse not to buy this great camera.

I love my E-M5 but I also love my E-PM2 even though you'd think that it's too "crippled" compared to it's bigger brother (or cousin? :biggrin:). It has enough buttons etc. and it is really nice to use.

Cons? Well... If I had to think something, I wouldn't mind another adjustment wheel but don't get me wrong - it's just "it would be nice to have". But you can easily manage the E-PM2 as it is.

EDIT: Just though one: The IBIS. It's crappy compared to the one in older models and especially compared to the E-M5/E-M1s. I don't know how it handles longer exposures but shorter than 1/60s turns out better without the IBIS.

stripedrex

Do or do not. There is no try.
Real Name
Alex
I agree with the above get a cheaper used camera and maybe even a 20mm F1.7 so she doesn't struggle getting a sharp shot in low light / indoors. The fixed focal length will help her think about her shots. I so happened to have a great used small M43 under 100 that I started with =). The panasonic gf3 is starting to show it's age but still very capable:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57950

Comes with a few cases (great case for young ones if they drop or slam it around and it can be straped around neck and removed with no strap if needed (one of my favorite cases of all cameras I own is one that has the strap on a half case)).

Anyhow good luck!

-Alex

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't own an EPM2, but believe you can reach the PASM selection thru one tap on the touch screen as opposed to using the Menu button and then shifting whatever number of clicks needed to reach it? I have an EPM1 and the latter method, somewhat unwieldy, is needed to get to the PASM selection.

Jeff1:1

Mu-43 Regular
Is a good camera and lens combo to start and same as but much smaller than Canikon kit stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom