1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Entry level film-making accessories (PEN)

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by comatory, Dec 16, 2012.

1. comatory

comatory New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    So I own Oly EP-3. So far I have only shot pictures with it, I'm in no way great photographer but I can do nice pictures. I was wondering about using PEN as my video camera. I already own HD camcorder but creative possibilities seem much bigger with PEN.

My dayjob is video editor and in my spare time I also do FX work and such, so in this regard I'm pretty educated. I have powerful hardware and software to do post stuff.

However when it gets to shooting, I'm not so knowledgeable. I know most of the folks use DSLRs to do high end stuff but I'm pretty sure PEN will be enough for me.

I want to know what accessories should I get to have decent quality video. I already own the base "pancake" lenses that came with the camera, so I think I should get at least one another lens for normal shots (something less wide).

Any tips?

Also, I notice that DSLR guys have these handles that stabilize the picture. Do you have any good tip?

As for sound, I guess I could go with SEMA-1? But are there any other options that could utilise more sophisticated, XLR-based mics? Just for future-proofing.

Are there any external battery packs? Or a way to power EP-3 externally? How about some attachable light for night action shots?

I know it's plenty of questions. Maybe there is some article out there or big knowledge base on this stuff?

Thanks a lot.

2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Vimeo has some really good tutorials on getting started on the cheap, particularly on the hardware/handling side.

I think to truly get control of your video, you'll need the GH2 or GH3, as they offer the most options. But for getting started, the EP-3 will be fine.

3. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I would say invest in a nice tripod with a good panning head.....video that shakes is awful. One of the most important things I learned is what I call the 10 second rule...always give each scene you are shooting at least a full 10 seconds before moving on to the next. I usually count it off in my head. This will teach you to slow down and compose your shots especially if you are at a party, etc.. I learned the 10 second rule on Vimeo, and it has really helped my video skills.

4. comatory

comatory New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    I have only this camera, no intention on spending it on anything else. I think the video actually looks much better than from my typical HD camcorder. Seems to me, like lens are the thing that matter most anyway.

I'll check vimeo. Would you happen to know any particular videos?

Yeah currently my tripod is pretty crappy but I can get one of those hydraulic head tripods which are great for panning shots.

Actually I know these little "tips" as I work in TV broadcasting so I'm sure I won't be doing these rookie mistakes. Thanks for heads up anyway.

5. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    i shoot a lot of video with my gh2, and you're standing on a slippery slope..haha. i have two 'rigs' i use for support. for simple handheld shots, i have a pistol grip that i took off of a light bar i had bought off of craigslist. for skate stuff, i have a 'scorpion' grip. i use that a fair amount if i'm using an anamorphic and/or my follow focus. i got the opteka one for ~$40. the only thing it's not so great for shooting anything from about chest height and up. i'm planning on getting a shoulder rig before too long.

for audio, i use a tascam dr07 mkII. it doesn't have xlr inputs, but i really don't need them yet. and i got a shotgun mic from a thrift store with a 1/8" plug that i can plug into the tascam. i haven't used the shotgun yet, but i like the tascam. i know some of the zooms have xlr inputs though. pluraleyes makes audio sync a breeze in post.

for a light, i got one of those cheap led panel lights. adjustable brightness and it came with a clear, amber and rose filter, so it's not as harsh as plain led's.

for lenses, i love my canon fd 50mm/1.8. you may want to get a variable nd filter if you're going to do a lot of shooting in bright, outdoor scenes. you want to keep your shutter speed at the inverse of the framerate doubled. so 24fps at 1/48 shutter speed (ideally), 1/50 is usually closest. 30fps @ 1/60, 60fps @ 1/120 (or whatever is closest).

6. comatory

comatory New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Yes external sound device sounds probably the best. I'll look into some of the "rigs" but I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy them in Europe.

7. comatory

comatory New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Also, do you use some external display or viewfinder?

I wonder if this is possible on PEN (I know it has viewfinder option but not sure about that HDMI output).

8. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    i just use the lcd screen or the lvf. the gh2 can have a histogram showing all the time, so i mostly use that to gauge my exposure. i'd like to get an external monitor, but i think for now it'll just get in the way

9. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
  10. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Make sure you turn the IBS off for video. It dramatically reduces the jello effect.

11. C-Towner

C-Towner Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm about to start shooting some video as well, and definitely could use the advice.