Enlargement Frame Question - EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, May 26, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Does this feature improve the camera's fine focusing when used?

I have it set to my movie button right now. I don't find the actual enlargement all that useful but I'm wondering does the smaller green square in the viewfinder actually mean the camera is looking at a smaller area when focusing? This would be useful for shooting little birds as often my 75/300 is just as likely to focus on the limb or branch they are sitting on as the bird itself.

Thanks. :smile:
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    There's an EPM1 thread asking the same thing. See https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-pm1-change-focus-box-size-permanently-26739/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Are you actually engaging the enlargement - ie., the green box contents fill the entire screen? From the sounds of it, you are not seeing the function fully happening.

With the green box showing - very briefly press the movie button, since that is where you have it mapped - and the box should disappear and it's contents now fill the whole screen. If you long-press the button, that just toggles the box off again.

When the view is actually enlarged, you can rotate the rear dial to change the amount of magnification between 5x and 14x.

It will assist the autofocus to be more selective on the point of focus - the degree of selectivity being governed by the amount of magnification dialed in.

I don't think it improves the actual accuracy of the focus.

The feature is mainly meant for fine manual focus.
  4. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Yes, the green square is what will be enlarged, the default is 5x, but, you can use the front wheel to change it. 5x, 7x, 10x and 14x after you are in the magnified view. (For manual legacy lenses). this can help in focusing on smaller details, to KEEP the magnified view active WHILE you take the photo, (it does not crop the photo), go to Menu/Gears/D/LV-Closeup-Mode/Mode 2
    this will leave the magnified view active THROUGH the Exposure. Mode 1 will cancel the magnified view as you take a photo.

With AF lenses, I haven't used it yet. Plus I have the Fn2 set up for Magnify, not Multifunction.

see Magnified View Not Cancelled with 1/2 press
    • Like Like x 1