1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Enjoying the Retro Feeling and Remembering my Film Days

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Years ago I could be found on my infrequent day off from work in the nuclear industry carrying around one of my Pentax 35mm cameras with one of several variable focal length lenses now known as “zoom” lenses. I was never one to carry around a bag full of primes as I felt you never had the right lens on the camera when a photographic opportunity presented itself and I did not like having to change lenses. Except for on location or in studio shoots, I still feel that way today. My favorite focal length for my walk about's was 35-70mm. Unless I was shooting a wedding I never used an auto winder though I had one for each series of cameras.

Over the years when converting to digital, I continued with Pentax but though my current K-5 and K-5IIs are great cameras they never quite had the same tactile feeling that I got from the film camera bodies. In the past few years I had seen the retro cameras being offered by Fuji, Canon and Olympus and got the opportunity to use one of the Olympus and Fuji cameras. Hey, that old feeling I had when handling the film bodies was coming back and I headed home with the first of two E-M10’s. Now some months later I acquired the Panny 12-35mm lens which closely approximates the 35-70mm lenses I was fond of back in the film era. I am really enjoying that tactile feedback from the shutter and the basic feeling when carrying and using the E-M10.

While most of my film cameras have been sold, I still have the twin ME Supers which were the last of the film bodies that I purchased one of which is shown below in comparison with the silver E-M10 and Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens.

Someday I will figure out what to do with those rolls of Kodachrome 64, 100 foot spools of Plus x film still in the freezer and three dozen reloadable cartridges and all that dark room equipment.

I should also mention that I occasionally drive around town in my 55 Chevy and play golf using a set of Callaway Hickory stick golf clubs.
    Olympus%20E-M10%20and%20Pentax%20ME%20Super%20002a.JPG
    Olympus%20E-M10%20and%20Pentax%20ME%20Super%20005a.JPG
    Olympus%20E-M10%20and%20Pentax%20ME%20Super%20006a.JPG

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You're hooped when it comes to the K64; the other film you can still process if you're that determined to use the darkroom equipment.
    I finally sold my darkroom gear about 6 years ago. Some very nice parents bought it as a present for their daughter that had just started at Emily Carr University of Art & Design. She got a very complete B&W darkroom for $300.

• Like Like x 2
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of Pentax guys also got Oly m43. There is a similarity in feel. I find the OMD series similar in size to my old beloved MX.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I still use a couple of legacy lenses--there's a definite... mood you can capture with manual lenses from yesteryear that most art filters can't quite get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Exactly, My two MX bodies were shipped off to a new home before I purchased the E-M10. One person bought both of them plus the autowinder. I sort of regretted letting them go but too much stuff.....

6. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I'm currently letting a lot of my old film bodies go for the same reason. Just far too much shelf space being taken up, although each occupied space carries it's own memories too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    How much of the Plus X roll is left? One of my favorite films, and they no longer make it. I do still shoot film off and on. If you're interested in selling that roll of Plus-X, PM me with a price.

I spent 30 years working full time in professional labs, at an enlarger and a black and white sink line, among other things. It was something I was good at, so it's hard to just let it go entirely.

8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    You can actually still process Kodachome 64, but only using a b&w process. I'm about to send a cartridge of Kodachome 40 super 8 to these guys: https://www.filmrescue.com/old-still-film-developing/ -- the cartridge was in a bag containing a Contaflex Beta my cousin gifted me and probably contains footage of her as a teenager.

9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Interesting. I thought the jig was up on Kodachrome. Why all the fanfare a number of years back when the "last roll" of Kodachrome was developed then? It caused many of use go into grieving.

10. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    It's because if you want color kodachrome, you're out of luck because the complex chemistry required is no longer available. Black and white processing was one of the steps in the process and that's still possible.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    At least the 17.5-35mm section does (closely approximate the 35-70)

Certainly enjoyed your post, thanks.

12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Got it. Thank you.

13. Trabant Dave

Trabant Dave New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2015
    I have recently bought an unused E-M5 'Elite' body and have combined it with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R lens; I preferred the aesthetic of this to the EZ lens - after picking up a barely-used HLD6 with a spare original Oly battery and a too-cheap-to-resist M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 R, which seems to be a natural first extension to the basic setup! It was fond memories of my film camera days that steered me towards the OM-D range after having a Canon EOS50D for a few years.

The Canon was excellent in many ways, especially with the Magic Lantern software that increased the capabilities greatly, but as I'm a bit OCD and insist on carrying umpteen spare batteries, lenses 'just in case' PLUS the battery grip etc etc, my wonderful and beautiful but long-suffering was tasked with carrying all this stuff on holiday while I skipped about being creative......

I still have my Praktica BC1, bought in a hard-currency shop in East Berlin about 1987 together with a number of accessories - can't remember the cost but it was considerably cheaper than buying in the UK as the DDR needed pounds/dollars/etc.
    I'd started with a Soviet-made Zenit-E and progressed through the Praktica to (eventually) an Olympus OM-4, bought secondhand and used extensively before real-life took precedent and photography took a backseat for a couple of decades......

It was the advent of the camera phone that reignited the interest; dissatisfaction with the quality of pictures made me look at buying a digital camera, and after a couple of cheap compacts I decided to jump into digital photography properly; leading to the EOS.

And so to the OM-D E-M5. I saw pictures when it came out a couple or three years ago, and thought 'one day'; the designers and marketing men have hit gold by using the retro thing; same applies to cars - look at the Fiat 500 to name but one. Well, it's worked - on me at least; after seeing my wife staggering under the weight of my bag in 35 degree city heat it seemed a good moment to open a dialogue on new equipment, and I decided I could not justify the cost of the Mk11, and actually prefer the tilting screen to the fully-articulating one, have handled both side-by-side.

On that basis, I opted for the original E-M5, the E-M10 seemed a touch too small in my hands and a little less substantial, I chose the non-EZ lens deliberately as I prefer manual zoom and the look of the II R, the other bits and bats I had on my hit-list and bought mint used at the right prices.

So I am on the learning curve; thoroughly enjoying the OM, playing with different settings and looking forward to a good few years - this camera actually makes me SMILE in a way none of the other digital camera has, so that's money well spent!

Here's a couple of poor images taken by phone to show the past, the future - and both together. 20150922_095823.

20150922_100708.
    20150922_095415.

Looking forward to learning a great amount here,

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My Dad shot Kodachrome (as did I) and I've got his images from the late 1940's->1950's which are immaculate. THe richness of the reds is particularly stunning along with fantastic skin tones after 65 years in storage! :2thumbs:
    Bobby

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The father of a friend of mine shot Kodachrome in the 40's, and the slides still look good. I learned to use my meter shooting Kodachrome 64.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Yes, my e-m1 is so close to my old Minolta X-700 in size, weight and appearance. Add a MF lens and it's like old times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I used to own a Pentax ME Super when I was in high school. I wore that camera out. I used it with a Asahi Pentax 50 f2 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f2.8-3.5 zoom to shoot for my school newspaper and yearbook.
    My OM-D reminds me of that old camera with it's ergonomics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    I had a couple of Pentax LXs, an MX and an ME. I still have an LX and the ME and one of my sons, who studied photography at Falmouth University, still uses the LX. It's got to be 30 years old! My favourite lenses were the 15mm rectilinear and the 28mm shift (I still have this one). Like many others here I moved through DSLRs into using retro-style MU43s cameras. One surprising, and welcome, benefit is that I've been able to go back to using my 30 year-old Stream Designs waistcoat for carrying all my kit; now that it's all small enough to fit in the pockets.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I wasn't at all aware of any similarities at the time. In fact, the Minolta hadn't been out of storage in 15 years. Funny.

image.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    When you don't see the old camera for a while you tend to forget until while using that new camera you start to experience feelings that are remotely familiar. Then you remember!

I did a shoot of a corporate party last night using my silver E-M10. Most of the folks there were over the age of 50 with many near or over 60. Several noted the camera and said it had been years since they saw anybody shooting film. I then demonstrated that it was digital. One guy was so impressed that he got one of the company business cards, found me in the crowd and wrote down the make and model number. Who knows, he may be a potential customer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 4