Enjoying my E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamawass, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    Picked one up last week and I've been enjoying it so far. Wasn't too thrilled with the kit lens initially but as my meager photography skills have improved I've found it's not as terrible as I thought. At this stage I've found P mode gives me the fastest way to make adjustments esp white balance and ISO that I adjust more than anything else currently. I've been taking most pics wide open, stepping back or forward to frame as best as possible and my favorite focusing mode is S-AF manual esp in low light. I haven't found this to be as difficult as I thought it would be without a viewfinder.
    I had almost bought a Sony NEX-5 but the olympus just seems to be more of a mini-DSLR than the Sony. The information on this forum made me make the decision.
    I've attached a link to a few of my practice shots please feel free to criticize at this early stage of my hobby.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome to mu-43! Those are some nice starter pictures. Is the lovely young lady your daughter??

What were you using to photograph before your EPL2?
  3. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks, she's my niece. I had been using Canon P&S for the last 3 yrs. In 2008 I briefly owned a E-420 with a pancake lens that malfunctioned. Due to Buy.com's incompetent customer service it had to be returned for a refund rather than replaced. After that I considered getting a PEN but the initial models were overpriced and underfeatured IMHO till the E-PL2.
  4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Great choice of camera - my own E-PL2 has given me a new lease of life where photography is concerned. I think your Niece has one of the happiest faces I've ever seen in my life.... :biggrin:
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I too own an E-PL2 - fun camera! :smile:
  6. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Great choice. I just got one a week ago, after using a Canon Rebel XTi.
  7. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Welcome to the world of happy(oversatisfied?) E-PL2 owners.
  8. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Adapted medium telephoto lens

I took the boys to a weekend camp along with a 4/3 40-150 f3.5-4.5 lens I'd purchased a few years ago, MMF-2 adapter and my new E-PL2. All photos were taken at 150mm handheld without a tripod (didn't have time to get one before the trip). Autofocus was not fatally slow, I prepared my shots anticipated where the action would be and focused in advance. The C-AF kept up with the moving person/persons. I think only 3 shots out of more than a hundred were out of focus. Definitely serviceable lens until I fork up for a more expensive lens, plus with it's size plus the hood, everyone thought I was a pro while I was using the Sports preset :biggrin: Pictures