Engagement Shoot Critique

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Psynema, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    TEST3 - garyhanna's Photos

Ok want to trim down the similar photos - any thoughts critiques? want to be below 30 delivered for a final publish.

Not yet fully Color corrected - most have basic contrast / sat adjusted with a few using NiK.

I'll post the final in a few days after a few comments hopefully.

GH2
    135mm Canon FD F2
    Hexanon 57mm 1.4

2. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    The ones that really stood out to me were 28, 32, and 38. Might want to fiddle with the tilt on 32 a little, seems just a bit out of whack.

Not criticizing, but seemed like there were a lot of "near misses" in the set. Good composition idea or setting, but there would be an extraneous, distracting detail, or wouldn't capture quite the right expressions, or the framing would be a bit off, or there would be a distracting tilt. Sometimes things just don't come together 100%. I think there might be several more that could be very good with some cropping.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How about #33 cropped near the hip? I also think #34 is a contender.

But I think you are asking for help in eliminating about 13 "redundant" photos (as opposed to picking out the best few)? Is that what you are asking?

4. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    they are very contrasty and shallow dof is good too.... where they at f2?

good pictures

5. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Yep F2 for the most part.

Scooter & Rob - garyhanna's Photos

"Final Album"....emailing them now and then I'm sure I'll think of ten thousand things to change afterwards :wink: Got too addicted to the Nik Plugins IMO.

6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great shots, excellent exposure and you've captured great expressions from the happhy couple. My favorites are the images with the bridge in the background. CU of the hands and pastry are also good.

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    BTW, how do you like SMUG MUG PRO? I am evaluating different sites for selling photos so any perspective is appreciated.

8. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    To be honest I just signed up so I can't say for sure. However Pro show web seems pretty neat as you can import directly from smug mug (but that's an extra $20 a month).

I like the customizable embeddable slide shows and sleek presentation vs. other sites (have yet to try their ordering service). Only thing I'll say is Slide.com is a free slide show/photo hosting service and, while very barebones, and very cheesy looking at FIRST GLANCE, if you turn off all of their effects you get a very effective black slide show that IMO, uploads and embeds photos faster than smug mug. To be fair, Smug Mug is probably using the actual files and not creating proxies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Here is a HARSH critique. Don't take it personal,.

-Get closer
    -Fill the frame
    -Too many of the same shot. It is OK to do this to see which one comes out but I would NOT give my clients a lot of the same shot.
    -Facial expression looks un-natural and too posed like.
    -Lighting is boring and flat. I saw you used off camera flash on some of your images, I would like to see more of this. Get an assistant to help you if you have to.
    -Watch out for the background and foreground.
    -Instead of trying to give 30 images, I would shoot for the top 10-15 images to give to your client.

These are the images that I really like
    awea--3
    awea--8
    awea--11

10. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    That ain't harsh, here's harsh LOL Engagement Shoot - FM Forums

I agree, too many of the same shot -I'll shrink this down to display on my site most likely, but mainly I'm also doing them a video so there's some sense of action/continuation (though again, I agree on similarity).

11. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Yea the people at FM can be harsh, but personally I would take a harsh critique over the "ohh your photos looks great" or "I like it"

One of my teacher does a critiques with a sharpy and a razor blade for the final portfolio. You can image how that turns out. Made me want to punch him in the face, but I gotta say I learned the most from him.

12. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    exactly. Not a biggie on bland comments either. Main reason is I'm not a big fan of this "gabe" guy he mentioned.

13. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/27696054]Scooter & Rob on Vimeo[/ame]

Sorry for the bump, but my intervalometer recently arrived - here's a video I did for them as well