1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Engadget Reviews Nikon J1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by drizek, Oct 3, 2011.

1. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Not the most reliable of review sources, but interesting anyway.

Ouch.

Nikon 1 J1 review (video) -- Engadget

• Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In my experiences, the only devices that review well on their site have an "i" in front of them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I love Engadget but I find that their camera reviews are pretty much garbage across the board. This one seems thorough and thought-out, but I would not put too much stock in it.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Engadget should not be doing camera reviews - or at least, limit their reviews to point-and-shoot cameras.

Their previous reviews have been embarrassing: full of incorrect assertions, etc...

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I agree with all of the above, but this is the first site I've seen that has this camera.

Also, all the old guard left, so the people writing these newer reviews are all brand new and should be given a fair shot.

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I'd agree that engadget's camera reviews are pretty much universally terrible. Wait for dpreview to have their say.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I find what Engadget calls a "camera review", most other sites would call a "user first impression" :tongue:

8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    En-
    According to Merriam dictionary, they seem credible, judged by the definition of what they stand for:

"gad·get \ˈga-jət\
    noun
    : an often small mechanical or electronic device with a practical use but often thought of as a novelty"

9. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

This specific observation is in agreement with sample images from focus numerique, where the noise is well controlled at high ISO, but clearly at the expense of low ISO image quality...

Test Nikon 1 V1 : gestion du bruit lectronique - Focus Numrique

10. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Yes, this is especially evident when comparing the G3 at ISO 160 to the V1 at ISO 100. The V1 is still noisy, and you can really tell that it is missing those 6 million pixels.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the EP3 is embarrassingly bad at ISO 3200 in those tests. The V1 is noisier, but it also retains more detail. The G3 destroys it in both fronts.

11. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

I agree, Nikon managed to reach 12MP panasonic sensor High-ISO capability. That's a great performance !

BUT, comparing ISO100-800 sample image between EP3 and J1, you realize that there is a loss of low ISO quality with J1 sensor... What's the point ?

For night and indoors photos, it worths it... but J1 sensor is behind P7100 performance at base ISO. Maybe they can manage to market this well, but for me I don't want good low light performance that comes with poor results at <800 ISO...