Eneloop NiMH 2000mAH batteries

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by jgregs, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
  2. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    You're both correct.

I think jgregs is referring to the faster flash cycle time provided by these low-resistance batteries relative to alkaline or standard (higher resistance) NiMH batteries.

Because of the lower resistance of these "low discharge" type batteries they can charge the flash capacitors more quickly.

3. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    This is incorrect. I was referring to time between flashes, otherwise I would have said discharge rate if that's what I wanted to say, all that information is in the link I provided, what isn't there is that it'll keep time between flashes to a minimum

4. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    You'll have to explain your assertion here because every test i've seen on the topic shows that fully-charged Eneloops are slightly faster at recharging flash capacitors than standard (even higher capacity) NiMH batteries.

Lower internal resistance = higher max current = faster cycle time. I = V/R

Capacity will only enter into the equation when the Eneloops are partially discharged and the voltage drops, negating the effect of the lower internal resistance.

5. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    You seem to have a strange notion of what constitutes an incorrect statement.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    We have been asked by Amin to be nice. My posts seem to have upset you. I have deleted my posts so they don't cause any more contention. All is good.

7. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Eh, it takes MUCH more than that to make me upset. :D

Sorry if I came across that way, I just didn't understand how you figured the posts by jgregs and I were incorrect. All things being otherwise equal, the Eneloop-type batteries will charge a flash capacitor slightly faster than a standard NiMH because of the slightly lower internal resistance.

If you compare 5 year old Eneloops that were charged months ago with new, freshly charged NiMH batteries, the NiMH may charge faster due to voltage differences but that's not really a fair comparison nor does it make my above statements incorrect.

So am I confused by your assertion? Yes! Upset? Nope. It's all good. :)