Endangered Species - Portrait of a Boom Worker

gscara

Mu-43 Regular
The next time you want to complain about your job, think of this fella...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And if he's like the union workers in the US he probably makes between $30 - $40 an hour, has a nice employer paid pension, an awesome health care plan and is home by 3:30 every day.

I'll take that.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
He probably has a very sore back and lots of other physical ailments resulting from the nature of that work. He is likely up and out at the break of dawn. Good weather or bad, hot or cold, he is outside.

I respect him but I don't envy him.

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
And if he's like the union workers in the US he probably makes between $30 - $40 an hour, has a nice employer paid pension, an awesome health care plan and is home by 3:30 every day.

I'll take that.
too bad there are people willing to do the job for less,with no benefits,no pesion,and no regard for safety. this guy works hard everyday. i've worked with dockbuilders,sandhogs,etc. and i wouldn't want their jobs..but i respect them. if he is union,then he has a decent wage and benefits. he ain't earnin 6 figures like most politicians and wall streeters...he WORKS!!!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I work hard too and I feel this guy and his work...but to be truthful....
he lost me with the gloves.....dunno!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I occasionally work on site, and on a recent site we had to wear gloves as part of the safety regime for this particular job - now it feels weird not to wear them on other sites that don't have the same regulations! all for the gloves on this end!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The wearing procedure of gloves is not the issue, they look like his daughters....
Well, from a Philly eye point that is....Face it, they certainly aren't the most macho gloves around....:rofl:

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
haha it's true, they do look like they have a nice manly-man's pattern on them.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
They're probably high tech manly man gloves. Honestly, in my not so humble opinion as a female, the true sign of a good man is that he doesn't care what he wears.:wink:

Don, I know you'd wear whatever you needed to, in order to get the job done.:biggrin:

P.S. I do feel a bit badly about derailing this photography thread. gscara, please forgive us!

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
When you're working with logs, unless you like splinters thick and long enough to go through the hand (I've seen it happen), you need gloves.

If you look closely you will see the gloves are specialized, like these, with a rubber from for good gripping and are lighter weight in the back for flexability and fast drying.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like this photo....great exposure, nice bokah....and.....this guy is welcome to the pay that he generates working in a very dangerous atmosphere! Logs in water!! He deserves a big pay packet!!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I understand everyone's point of view and I agree totally. I'm a city guy. I ain't gotz no klass....Dem gloves ain't right for him. I know there safety gloves...
He can pick those logs up with his teeth... that's obvious... he can smoke them logs like cigar's... that's obvious....
he deserves more money then he's getting paid.....OBVIOUS....
He gotz 4 wives and 19 kids and keeps everyone satisfied....very obvious!

but he needs a new pair of gloves.....!

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Shooter you're wanted as a politician. Sticking by his guns!, not swayed by others opinions. Haha

I was just thinking about those blokes in the library who wear gloves and this guy. One stops stuff getting out and the other stops stuff getting in.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
they don't look like no safety gloves. they look like fabric knit gloves with a grippy palm. his hands must be wet and freezing cold.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
they don't look like no safety gloves. they look like fabric knit gloves with a grippy palm. his hands must be wet and freezing cold.
which is exactly what was shown on the previous page as safety gloves :p

that's what we use so that you don't accidentally rest your hand on a freshly welded handrail! (hot) or pick up glass finds whenever you hold onto a surface! (ouch)
but they don't really dry quickly in my experience, which is a pain in cold enviroments!

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
which is exactly what was shown on the previous page as safety gloves :p

that's what we use so that you don't accidentally rest your hand on a freshly welded handrail! (hot) or pick up glass finds whenever you hold onto a surface! (ouch)
but they don't really dry quickly in my experience, which is a pain in cold enviroments!
still not exactly the gloves I would choose for working in a cold and wet environment like that guy is.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom