End of the Season

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Narnian, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    At the Boathouse Restaurant - my wife and I went out to celebrate the 32nd anniversary of our first date. [​IMG]

I saw these lonely chairs down at the dock.

G1 ISO 400, 1/6 sec, f4, 45-200 @ 51mm

1097357412_Syf2D-L.

I am not certain which I like better: the color one above or B&W.

1097357590_LtvLu-L.

• Like Like x 4
  2. gjtoth

gjtoth Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I'm not a big fan of B&W and I normally don't even bother looking at them but, that second one is MADE for B&W.

Nice shootin' :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I like the color version, fwiw--but then I usually do. The b&w version seems cold.

Very nice use of the light there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Terrific shot! Both versions are good, but I like the color one better.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Instead of which is better maybe we should ask which one is appropriate. For me if colour is not an intrigue part of the image then I choose B&W. In this case the colour is almost monochromatic so we can almost think of them as a warm image and a cool one, instead of B&W vs Colour. This is similar if both images were B&W and on had a sepia tone to it. For me it is do we want a warm of cool tone to the image? Because it is end of season I would think of a sadder feeling therefor I would opt for the cool tone as it is a bit harsher and a bit more uninviting a certainly sadder. But, that is just my take on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I wholeheartedly agree. The original was virtually a B&W image but slightly warmer and more inviting. I should call the first photo the "Start of the Season". :wink:

I think I will go back and see how it looks during the day - I was facing west and might be able to get a sunset reflecting off of the water behind the chairs.

7. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    It depends on the directions we think about the end of the season.....
    If we think back and remember the warm sun, then the diminished colour version is good, but when we think about the cold winter which is coming, then the b&w version suits better.....
    Or: the glass is half full or empty.....?:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Here it is during the day, from almost the same angle. I had not noticed at the time I took this one someone had changed the angle and the back chair and it was not getting the same sun and the front chairs:

1098388828_Jky4e-L.

And a shot showing what the chairs are looking at. I have been doing a little more post processing on this one. My house is just beyond the trees on the other side:

1098388385_pgCgn-L.