End of the affordable GH line of cameras?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by deang001, Jan 4, 2014.

1. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Just wondering what you all think about the future of the GH line of cameras?

I'm thinking that the current GH3 will be the last of the "affordable" line of GH cameras.

Who knows for sure, but judging from rumours etc, It seems like the next GH camera will be even more video-centric (4k etc) and much more expensive than the current GH3.

It may be that the GX7 may be the top of the heap as far as affordable Pana cameras go and the GH line become a very video based and much more expensive line.

I was hoping a GH3 replacement would have the same body styling but with a better EVF with all the usual incremental stills, video, AF etc upgrades, but it doesn't look like this will happen.

It seems that if you like the handling of the GH3 and want a replacement, it's going top cost you a lot more and be based around video.

What do you guys think?

2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I think so. That's why I've just ordered the GH3 with 200€ cash back.
    I've read rumors that implies almost 3 times more expensive.
    I'll be satisfied with the last of the affordable GH cameras.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Will there be any future replacements for the GH3, do you think? Like the OM-D line for example; E-M1 at the top then other OM-D models under it.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That sounds logical. Given the new price point for the GH$, I mean, GH4 it would be logical for that camera to be for serious independent film makers, videographers, etc. It is $1K cheaper than the Blackmagic 4K camera. I personally think that it will be in the sweet spot for serious video.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I really think the new camera is either a specialized GH cam (as some of the rumors are saying) separate and above the GH3, or the details are being confused/conflated with a video camera designed to replace the AG-AF100 or something along those lines. I just can't see them charging $3000 for a GH3 model replacement, and then having that big of a gap to the G6 or GX7 as the next model down.

What I think we'll see is a 4K video capable camera in the shorter term, and then a GH5 or whatever they call it (maybe GH8 to leap frog the GX7 numbering?) that's priced similar to the GH3 or EM-1 price range, with some new features added. I've got my own list of what I'd like to see in a GH3 replacement but I'm honestly not sure what to expect from Panasonic other than that it's likely to be competitive with the EM-1's featureset.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Panasonic would do well to name the new camera something other than "GH", which would clear up the confusion well enough. The new unit is definitely looking to be a much higher end product than what typical consumers (even savvy ones) would be expected to look at.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe the high end ones all end in 'K', e.g. GH4K? ;)

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's possible the G line may be upgraded and take the GH line's position in the Panasonic lineup: GH, G, GX, GM and GF.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Clever but sorry, they already use the K suffix to denote black bodies. The correct model name for the GH3 is the DMC-GH3K :tongue:

11. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean

Agreed. Just going to get too confusing.

All I want is a GH3 with a excellent viewfinder and built in 5-axis IBIS that works in video.

I wouldn't even care if the stills and video IQ remained the same as the GH3 ... as long as it was priced around the same point.

I really like the form factor of the GH3 and I hope they continue to offer it at a reasonable price.

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah... I would like to see an incremental improvement on the GH3 for the next release, but I'm really hoping they keep the form factor the same. The ergonomics and controls are excellent and I'm praying they don't mess with it.

I'm sure it's too much to hope for but I'd be ecstatic if they managed to keep it compatible with the GH3 batteries and battery grip so I can reuse the accessories (I know, I know, crazy idea right?).

My short list of wants for a GH5 is IBIS (not a deal breaker but it'd be nice with the 40-150mm f/2.8), focus peaking, 1/8000 shutter and/or ISO 100. The return of the multi-aspect sensor is something I'm really hoping for too as I use 3:2 a lot now, and hate having to crop in post and toss pixels. I'm certainly not going to complain about improvements in high ISO, DR, or resolution, but with the GH3 I've gotten to a point where my big "wishlist" items are no longer IQ related. :2thumbs:

13. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Wold be good the GH5 come with RAW for video.

14. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Isn't the K to indicate what sort of kit lens is included?

15. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I agree with you guys. Currently using the G6, but I'm hoping the next iteration of the GH gets the few missing features that the G6 has and gets an improved sensor. I know that the GH is renown for its video, but I don't want the still photography element of the GH to be minimized. I hope that other features of the GH remain the same (weather sealing, large ergonomic body, flip out LCD).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Are those rumors really about the GH? They sound more like the AF100/101 replacement instead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    They should just give it a different name. GHPro1? GHP1? GP1?

18. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm hoping that Panny keeps expanding the GH and AF lines, adding features and improvements but keeping these as seperate lines.

The problem is, we just don't know how many of these they sell to know if it is worth the investment and effort for Panny. They still have Pro Camcorder line with some AVCHD and some P2.

I see the GH line as perfect fit for hybrid photo/video work (events, weddings) and no/low budget indie filmmaking.

The AF (or something similar) with dedicated Pro audio, more manual control via physical buttons, better video ergonomics, 4K, dual recording card slots, etc would be more of a studio/production cam to complete with Canon "C" Cinema cams and Black Magic.

Keep the GH "DSLR" form factor and keep it around $1200. The AF should move to a cinmena camera form factor and can start around $2500 (non 4k version).

19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think Panasonic's vision (and possibly market niche) is that cinema and photo will continue to merge as hybrid. I don't think they want separation. A few month ago, 43 rumors posted some Panasonic "roadmaps" that indicate Panasonic has gone all in with hybrid.

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This makes a lot of sense. They make TVs after all!