1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Encouraging Third Parties

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ssgreenley, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So, is anyone else considering buying the new Samyang solely to encourage third party manufacturers? As I generally shoot neither pet portraits nor sk8r videos I don't really need a fisheye, but it does look sexy, right? and not too expensive... What are ya'll thinking?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not a chance. I don't like fisheyes and I don't have enough money to buy the lenses I actually want.:doh:

3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    AFTER the Oly 45mm... And probably after an EPL3... Then it could be bought.

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love the idea of third party lenses, but don't really dig fish eye lenses

5. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    A Samyang 85 1.4? Maybe chipped for auto manual focus aid? (they already do chip their lenses for nikon)

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It would be better to encourage them to build something more than a fisheye... That's such a specialized lens that only a few people need.

For Four-Thirds Samyang had produced an 85mm f/1.4. That's a fantastic lens format which many people have great need for! We should encourage them by buying more of those to mount with our Four-Thirds adapters, then maybe they'll get the hint and make an 85mm f/1.4 for Micro Four-Thirds mount. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's next on their list, anyways... they said the fisheye was just the first, and they had both the 8mm f/3.5 fisheye as well as the 85mm f/1.4 for Four-Thirds mount.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Lawls! Or they'll just make more of your precious Big-Four-Thirds lenses! I do think the advantage of a fisheye is that manual-only is actually a plus on the lens. I do agree with the consensus view that basically any other lens would have been more useful...

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I seem to recall reading that Samyang has said they plan to make more m43 lenses.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No thanks. We should encourage manufacturers that make sensible lenses. The fisheye is a nice specialty lens, but has 0 relevance even for the vast majority of enthusiasts.

Also, I'm through with manual focus lenses. Not a huge deal in the case of the fisheye, but it's just one more thing I don't need to worry about at this point. If they're going to make native lenses, they need to make them fully native.

DH

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I probably will. While the fisheye is a one-trick-pony ... it will be fun four times a year when I use it. I'll store it right next to the LensBaby. If it was of a lower quality or higher expense then probably not ... but it is relatively cheap and sharp. (Cheap and sharp are the hard parts ... finding something fishy to shoot is the easy part.)

G

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's no point in artificially "voting with your wallet." If they make a good product, by all means buy it, and that will be all the incentive that they need. Olympus, for example, is hurting because the Panasonic 20mm is so much better, that everyone is buying that one, unless they find a really good deal on the 17mm. This has convinced Olympus to step up their game, and their 12mm is now a genuine piece of work.

I disagree with it being an unnecessary lens. Fisheye lenses are very fun and useful. I'd say that buying one is more useful than what many members do: buy the various versions of the same or similar lens. How many people do you know that bought both a 17mm AND 20mm, or a 40-150 AND 45-200, or multiple versions of the 14-42, etc?

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good points, how many legacy glass users have more than one 50mm?

G

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    :redface: Hey, I resemble that remark!

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    And I bet now you're giving it some thought ... I am culling though my lenses and giving some away to ยต4/3 members (ala Alan).

Gary

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely I am, Gary... it's really hard to let go of some, though. xP

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I sold my 55/1.4 mamiya and my 50/1.4 super takumar. I kinda miss them now :frown:

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah but, I already have legacy glass and am not looking for more. I am looking to buy more 4/3 and/or m4/3 glass ....

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I know... you can only use one at a time, and we of course pick our favorites... but they all have a unique quality and character about them that we still want to keep around. xP

I have my three favorites right now, the G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4, Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4, and the KMZ Jupiter-3 (50mm f/1.5). The Zuiko has the richest colors, the Hexanon is the sharpest, and the Jupiter-3 is just... special.

19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I hear prices getting thrown around but it seems significantly higher than the DSLR counterpart?

I love the size and output, making it a great traveling lens that is unobtrusive in the bag. I see no use if you have plenty of wide-angle landscape lenses but I for one, don't have any. Perfect for traveling and just capturing those "souvenir" shots that incorporate your surroundings. So put me up for one...if it's available in the states.

As far as encouraging third parties...the hell with that. This is not another fad/ cash-cow segment every third party can just dump projects on. Bring quality gear or save your R&D funds until you do.