Enabling touch-screen on OMD-EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ajm80031, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I've rented an OMD-EM5 from one of the Internet sites to try out the camera. One thing I can't seem to get working is the touch screen. The manual indicates that I should be able to make selections on the 'Super Control Panel' using the touch screen, but the touch screen seems inactive.

I've hunted around for the touch screen control and think I've found it (in the 'gear' K-Utility menu, 'Touch Screen Settings'). I've verified that it's set to 'On', and also tried setting if 'Off' and then back to 'On'. Still no reaction from the touch screen.

Is there something else I need to do, or does sound like this may be a defective camera?

(BTW, I'm loving the form factor of the EM5 -- nice and compact and feels more similar to a film camera than most digitals manage. I'm not too enamored of the menu system on this camera, though. I think I'd ideally like the body and image quality of the EM5 but with Panasonic's menus. I'd rented a GH3 the other week, and while the body is much larger and more cumbersome, that camera has both a lot more dedicated controls and a superior/more intuitive menu system. Much easier to learn your way around.)

2. alonso

alonso New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    I picked up my omd yesterday from best buy. I couldn't get the screen to work, only the vf. I was going going nuts looking in the settings and finally found a button on the side of the view finder that activates and deactivates the automatic screen. Hope this can solve your issue.

3. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I'm aware of the button on the side of the viewfinder that switches the rear screen between 'live view' and the 'Super Control Panel' (SCP). I have the SCP displayed and can navigate around it using the arrow keys, but it does not respond to touch input.

Thanks for the reply, but I think my problem is different.

4. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    If you suspect the screen is defective, probably you should try to touch the screen to focus and trigger image. How does it go?

5. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Good suggestion. The touch screen does work to take a photo, but not for the Super Control Panel. No idea why.

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I just tried on mine, you can only chose something on the Super Control Panel but you can't "doubleclick" and go into the choice, you have to use the OK button and then the arrows to chose something and then OK to select it. The touch doesn't work like a smartphone unfortunately. I only use it to select focus point and scroll through images :)

But on yours, it doesn't even work selecting something on the SCP?

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Press the Ok to bring up the selectable SCP, touch the item you want to change, and trn one of the wheels (which one depends on how the camera is set up). Note I've only used P, A, S, and M modes.

Have you tried touch screen shooting yet? If that works, your camera is NOT defective.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    While I love the SCP, I'm finding its implementation leaves a lot to be desired. The whole selecting things by touching the screen, then having to revert to buttons/dials is very counter-intuitive...

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Just the opposite for me...I LOVE the fact that I can change things using the wheel and I can count clicks...I can select an item, turn the dial, then quickly select another item to change.

Having to use a slider on a touch screen is imprecise...I deal with this annoyance enough on the iPad and the software synths I use on it.

10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I mostly use it for focus modes, etc...I actually PREFER buttons and wheels to touch screens...but...if there's a touch screen, then I like to do just that...it's the going back and forth thing that's confusing me (I'm fairly new to the camera)...I always forget that "clicking" on it by hand is the end of the road, and then I have to switch to buttons and wheels...

11. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

That may be the issue (don't have the camera with me at the moment). Having to press OK before being able to navigate around the SCP using the buttons has been counter-intuitive to me, and I probably have been trying to navigate around the screen using touch without having hit OK first.

Unfortunately, at this point I think I've pretty well decided that the OMD-EM5 isn't for me. I love the general size and feel of the camera, and have been pretty happy with the stills I've been getting from it. The user interface, however, just frustrates me. It doesn't help that the user manual isn't very well written (at least the English version) and I've had to search on the Internet to understand how to deal with some fairly basic functions on the EM5, whereas on other cameras I've tried lately I've been able to figure out all the important stuff just by playing with the camera. I'm sure I'd get more used to the EM5 over time, but I doubt I could ever really warm to the interface.

Hopefully Olympus will address these shortcomings with the EM5's successor. They've got a winner with regards to picture quality, size, and feel. Unfortunately their expertise with the mechanical and image-quality aspects doesn't extend to the software used to run it.

(I've also found that the EM5's video isn't up-to-par with the current Panasonic & Sony offerings, but as most of the folks on this site don't seem to use the video functions much if at all I don't think that's a concern for most here.)

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Bingo. Same here. It's a weird mix of touch screen and physical dials/buttons that I have not encountered on any other device before. It's one that needs getting used to, certainly not out-of-the-box intuitive.

13. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Yeah UI is confusing, I have made own shortcuts to the arrows and the Fn button so that's a workaround. But maybe, if you like video also check out some Panasonic mft-bodies instead, they have different UI can't say anything about it though cuz I haven't tried much at all

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, the customization is one of the reasons I went with this camera...I've programmed all the buttons to my liking, so I rarely have to do any menu diving...now that I'm starting to get used to the SCP it's okay, but an *ALL* touch screen implementation once you're in SCP mode would have made much more sense!