1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Embracing Compromise

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nathan King, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I've seen a lot of posts lately addressing compromise as if it was undesirable. But compromise isn't a dirty word, is it?

My journey with photography has only recently begun, but I've already gathered a huge appreciation for this little format. My first (quite brief) introduction to photography was in the form of a Canon F1 SLR with a split focusing screen. After being able to take photography back up due to a modest standard of living increase, I very recently decided to invest in Micro Four Thirds for my equipment needs.

After a recent vacation I'm thrilled that I did. The trip involved lots of walking in urban areas with very hot weather. I always had a camera with me on the trip and most certainly would not have been able to say the same had I purchased a larger and heavier DSLR (would have dumped it back in the hotel room after the first day). For the longer walking portions I brought my E-PL5 with either the kit lens or 17mm f/1.8. It's so light I didn't notice it. When I had some downtime and could really get some serious architectural shots I brought along my E-M5 and Crumpler bag with all of my primes, which still isn't that much baggage.

I honestly could care less what latest gadget the "pros" use. I am not and never will be one of them. I do know that what I have gets me some wonderful shots limited by only my imagination, and more importantly, I get the shots because my equipment is convenient enough to bring along.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    But Nathan, is it compromise or minimization?

If one can obtain satisfactory results with :43: there is no apparent compromise in not carrying DSLR gear (or an 8x10 view camera, for that matter).

You have chosen equipment that allows you to obtain the results you desire, that does not limit your vision or get in the way of making photographs.

A compromise would mean that one is sacrificing something in the way of image quality or the ability to capture images would be diminished in some way.

If I still photographed high school sports in dimly lighted gymnasiums and used my E-M5 rather than a gripped Nikon D300 in an effort to reduce equipment weight, that would be a compromise. The D300 is more robust than the E-M5 (IMHO, YMMV) and the ability of the Nikon to focus on fast moving objects is more reliable than offered by the Olympus.

When I changed my subjects, I no longer required the performance level of the D300 I was able to minimize my gear without compromising image quality. The Nikon would have been just as good at static subjects as the OM-D E-M5 and (perhaps) better if I made large prints - but at the size that I print (8x10) there is, to my eyes, no loss of quality when using the E-M5.

I compromise when I take a zoom lens rather than primes because I don't own a zoom lens that compares favorably in IQ with the 20mm and 45mm primes.

I'm glad you're enjoying the :43: format. Like you I find myself carrying a camera more often than I did when I used DSLR gear.

I don't, however, consider :43: to be a compromise - merely different that what I have used in the past. (My first serious camera was an Olympus Pen FT 35mm half frame, the :43: of it's day).

Regards,

Jim

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If it isn't a pocketable FF compact camera with a 12-600mm f/1.2 constant aperture zoom that retracts fully into the body with a built in EVF that's at least 10 million pixels for less than $500 then it is our duty to complain!

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Agreed, Jim. It's not a compromise if you're not sacrificing something.

5. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    No - Compromise isn't a dirty word. (Unless you talk to a politician. :tongue: - But I won't go there.)

If compromise is defined as a series of tradeoffs, photography itself is a compromise. No camera is perfect, just as no image is perfect.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, those things are fine when new but the resale value is terrible....

:biggrin:

[g,d,&r verra, verra fast]

Regards,

Jim

7. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    My point exactly.