1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Embedding Flickr photos from iOS devices

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Speedliner, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    seems like a silly question, but lately, I haven't been able to embed a Flickr image to the site from my iOS devices. From my PC, no problem to copy/paste bbc code.

At some point, Flickr stopped working well with safari or chrome on iOS. Today, the bbc code option doesn't even appear and "copy url" is the only available option. This is the rally stupid part, pasting the image url into the insert image box and inserting, doesn't insert anything.

See, stupid question. I use the Flickr app. The website still presents the bbc code option, but it's impossible to copy the string.

Thanks

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You can copy the URL (the one ending in ".jpg") and paste it into the post between IMG tags like this:

Code:
    [IMG]URL[/IMG]

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Or your can download the image from Flickr to your device and then upload it to the post.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks Amin. When I paste the URL into the insert image box, only [​IMG]

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't use the insert image box, just write out the tags like I showed.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks. Can't get a URL with .jpg either. Flickr's app is limited and the web page isn't working very well from safari or chrome. I feel like my mother!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Hi. I'm new, but this post tickled me enough to sign up.

I'm going to try not to rant about how dissatisfied I've become with Flickr over the past few years and answer your question. You have a couple of options!

1) Safari. Open your image in your photostream (after clicking multiple times because flickr's mobile UI is busted),
    1a. Click the Share button (the thing that looks like a Reply arrow from email)
    1b. Select either Embed or BBCode (I have both on mine, IOS9.2, iPad version)
    1c. Pull your hair out trying to select the text in the box and pasting it into your message (as Amin said, be sure to make sure you have properly formatted BBCode).

(no image posted because it is impossible to select text in iOS on Flickr's website.)

2) Still in Safari, go to View/Download All Sizes (the little dropdown arrow on the bottom of your picture)
    2a. Select View All Sizes
    2b. Find the image size you want and display it
    2c. Long click the image, and select... Save Image? Copy? Damnit, iOS, I just want the URL. I know how to web, why are you making this difficult?

(no image posted because it is impossible to simply grab a URL in Safari in iOS)

3) Download and open the Flickr App because that's how people are expected to use the internet now.
    3a. Ignore fact that half of the app doesn't work because Yahoo fired all the engineers who were working on it.
    3b. Go to your photostream, er Public.
    3c. Click the image you want
    3d. Click the Share button (looks like a little Reply to button from email)
    3e. Select Copy URL
    3f. Realize it's the short URL to the flickr image page, give up.

(no image posted because this is not a direct link to the image)

4) Go to your desktop machine and a big boy web browser...

I get so frustrated by these things, in case you didn't notice. Why the designers of these sites and apps deliberately make it difficult to do something so damned simple is a constant source of pain for me. Mostly because it's so easy, and they've just made the choice to make it difficult to keep you in their app and to prevent external linkage. In some cases, it's iOS itself that causes the issues, the limitations of mobile web browsers is due to a lack of effort on their part. Why? Because Apple would prefer to encourage an App ecosystem that generates revenue for them.

There's a mobile version of Firefox now for iOS. It's still pretty new so it hasn't gotten all of the features of the android versions yet, but it's coming together.

23940638890_537ebea4bf_z. grab by Rob Campbell, on Flickr

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Just the right amount of rant.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Safari is a pain in the neck when it comes to copy and paste. Flickr is a pain in the neck when it comes to link/embedding images. Put that together and it is difficult to do in IOS.

That being said, here is what I do.

Go to your Photostream in Safari, touch the image you want to share once to select it, touch again to go to its page.
    Touch the share arrow (one pointing to the right), touch BBCode, touch image size to bring up dropdpwn/dropup to choose size
    Here is where it gets tricky:
    touch field with URL, the screen will refresh, touch it again. This will bring up the bars for choosing text.
    Touch the one on the right and drag it down, it should select everything to the right in the URL window. You have to be careful here.
    Touch and hold the bar on the left and drag it to the beginning of the field (all the way before [url=...).
    If you have done this while holding your tongue right and doing a little prayer you should get the "Copy" button to pop up. Touch it and you have the Embed link copied. You can then paste it in the Forum reply window. (disclaimer: this is on IOS 8.3)

10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    @robcee@robcee, I could have written this (but you wrote it much better) :) This precisely matches my experience.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've now switched entirely to Windows, but when I was running an iPad, I gave up with Safari and Flickr. However, there's an excellent app called FlickStackr on iOS which is not only a great app, but does bbcode copy and paste very well. There's a free version, but the paid version isn't expensive and worth every penny/cent IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try m.Flickr.com
    You can just right click and use the image URL like a normal site.

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    No right-click from an iPad...as far as I kmow

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, long press then. Same menu.

15. MikeyP

MikeyP Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    I also recommend checking out FlickStackr on iOS.

When choosing an image resolution for embedded Flickr images, what is the recommended size?