em5III vs em1II or III?

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh yea! Pardon me for sounding like a bit of an idiot here, with the em5II I'm super excited just to get ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter speeds!!!! I was worried it might still be 200 and 1/4000 which blinks at me a bit at times. How lame am I to be more excited about that than what most people are excited about? But I'm also so out of the loop with new equipment I didn't even know the em5II came out so long ago and that there is a III now!

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
If you are happy with the photos you get from your em5, and are worried about batteries and build quality then find an em5ii.
I bought one a few months ago after the mark iii was released. There are still some hanging around.

It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse. It is 96 grams (about 4oz) heavier than the mark 1, but a better camera in most respects..
It will be a lot cheaper than a em1 or em5iii.
You will have spare batteries from the em5i
All you existing lenses work, no need to sell or buy into a new system
With extra money you were setting aside for the camera can then buy a 12-45 pro or Panasonic 12-60 to replace your failing 12-50, and if you use macro a macro lens as well, or even another 12-50
+1

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm super excited just to get ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter speeds!!!! I was worried it might still be 200 and 1/4000 which blinks at me a bit at times.
Sorry, I don't mean to be Debby-Downer, but it isn't really ISO 100 and you might still run into the same issue and in fact worse. I think you got your numbers mixed up. If you were shooting at ISO 200 and 1/4000 then ISO 100 the shutter would change from 1/4000 to 1/2000 (dimmer ISO requires slower shutter to compensate).

So that said, "100" is Olympus's "LOW" ISO and what really happens in simple terms is the camera still shoots at ISO 200 and over exposes one stop with shutter then it reduces the resulting shot's EV one stop to compensate. This improves the noise levels in your shadow areas (because you are shooting with more light on the sensor), however you lose headroom on the highlights side, so if you were getting highlight blinkies at ISO 200 then you will likely get more using ISO "100".

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I only have one camera (aside from film) and have loved that I can take the em5 with me all the time. I've gotten a few fun shots that I never would have gotten without it with me all the time. And like I said above I don't have a cell phone, so that's not an option to have if I get a heavier camera and find I leave it home more often. Due to weight I only have lighter lenses, the 40-150, 9-18, 25 1.4 and the 60 macro. I'm interested in a few others, but will have to look at weight with those too. I'd love a nice long tele but they're all way to heavy for me I think. I really miss the 200 2.8 with the 1.4TC I had with the canon, but it got too heavy for me and I went down to the plastic 55-250 and got some great shots with it. I slowly had to get rid of all my glass and was really depressed about it until I stumbled upon the em5 and decided what the hell, let's try it. I then sold all my canon stuff for the m43 stuff and while I miss it and some of the things I can't do now, my health makes me not be able to do a lot of other things too, so it's par for the course I guess. I make the best of it and keep going.
If you already have those nice compact lenses, it wouldn't make sense to switch systems. Remember that Panasonic is also part of the m4/3 standard and Panasonic camera can mount and take full advantage of your Olympus lenses. So if you are worried about the longevity and resale of Olympus, you could consider a Panasonic camera. G85 is an outstanding value if you want a nice grip, or GX85 if you prefer a more slim camera.

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
Sorry, I don't mean to be Debby-Downer, but it isn't really ISO 100 and you might still run into the same issue and in fact worse. I think you got your numbers mixed up. If you were shooting at ISO 200 and 1/4000 then ISO 100 the shutter would change from 1/4000 to 1/2000 (dimmer ISO requires slower shutter to compensate).

So that said, "100" is Olympus's "LOW" ISO and what really happens in simple terms is the camera still shoots at ISO 200 and over exposes one stop with shutter then it reduces the resulting shot's EV one stop to compensate. This improves the noise levels in your shadow areas (because you are shooting with more light on the sensor), however you lose headroom on the highlights side, so if you were getting highlight blinkies at ISO 200 then you will likely get more using ISO "100".
What I meant was I often shoot landscapes/flowers and when I can only get the shot in bright daylight (which I try to avoid) it blinks the 1/4000 meaning it's too bright and to either stop down the ISO to get something lower then the blinking 1/4000, which you can't do at ISO200 so you have to stop the lens down, which at times I can't do due to subject isolation, so I have to put on a ND filter if I can. So being able to shoot at 1/8000 instead of 1/4000 will help a little in those instances. Shooting at ISO100 would not necessarily happen at the same time, it's just I preferred to shoot at ISO100 with other cameras I've used in the past, (and in cases where I can slow the shutter down and use a tripod instead, using a lower ISO results in a clearer photo so I try to go as low as I can) and wished the 200 on the em5 was lower. But seeing it's really just 200, then sadly I'll just have to stick to that I guess.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi gardengirl,

Quoted and edited your posts a bit in order to keep an overview :).
1- health sucks, ergonomics and weight an issue. closest camera shop (too far).
2- I do shoot both ways, if it's something I need quick the camera stays on all the time, if it's something I can handle a little slower I always turn it off to save the battery. I can't have heavy lenses so them using power isn't an issue for me. I use regular IBIS and don't have it set up to stabilize in the viewfinder/LCD since it makes me nauseous when I use it that way. Not sure if that uses less power or not?
3- I don't want a used camera because I need it to last me as long as this one did. ....
4- as for what's different with the cameras aside from this other stuff, I hate to say it I could care less. .... use my cameras .... the same since film. .... ignore all the extras. .... weather protection.... But higher MP doesn't do anything for me since my old computers can't handle large images, .... in camera charging I don't think my USB port will do that will it?? ....

budget about $1000 but push to $1500 em1III but prefer mkII and new lens. .... need wider prime and longer prime since .... lighting .... tricky (ISO 6400 25 1.4 prime struggling at 1.8 with shutter speeds of 1/10 or less).
1 - ergonomics and weight
EM-5 Mk III is 414 grams including battery, EM-1 Mk II 574 grams, EM-1 Mk III 580 grams. So that's plus 160 grams for the EM-1 II, and plus 166 grams for the EM-1 Mk III, or the weight of the lightest lenses in the MFT system.
If that is a problem, EM-5 Mk III, and if not, EM-1 either model.
I'd like to ask whether you have small hands as well here. My wife has XS (European), but finds the EM-1 comfortable to hold. She has fairly thin, longish fingers, though. Myself I have 3XL, and find it comfortable too, I find the EM-5 much less comfortable. The deeper grip makes for a better grip if you'd ask me, and considering your health situation, that may be the case for you too - it is a little heavier however, although that I think is mostly due to the much larger battery (and hence slightly larger body), and somewhat better build.
2 - battery
I have shot 1200 exposures with a single batterycharge with the EM-1 II, never got beyond 400 with the EM-5 II. And I leave everythign one when shooting, but switch off when I stop.
3 - not used
IOW, then depends om budget.
4 - other stuff
Weather protection is better with EM1-II or II than with EM-5 II or III.
The difference between 16MP and 20MP is minimal, so that should not be a problem if the computer could already handle 16MP images. Have you ever tried shooting to jpeg straight away? Especially with Oly's processing engine you really get very good results straiht out of the camera, just by editing the profile to my liking. I get the same quality images as I can get from my Canon that way, no problem at all.
The 20MP sensor, and I know so for the EM-1 II compared to the EM-5 II for sure, is a stop better noisewise, if not a little more. I am not familiar with EM-5 III or EM-1 III in that regard, so I could not tell you, other than that the EM-5 III should be about as good as the EM-1 II, and the EM-1 III is probably slightly, but only slightly, better again.
In-camera charging should be possible with your computer, provided you have the right adapter cable (USB II or III to USB-C), as all laptops have at least 1 port that provides power. USB-C has the symmetrical, rounded USB plug.
Oh, and IBIS on EM-1 II and EM-5 III is very good, and slightly better again on the EM-1 III. Actually, it truly is amazing on any of these 3 cameras.

As to budget, if you would like a new lens and a body, I'd suggest you'd get either the EM-5 III or the EM-1 III.
Having said that, the 20MP bodies have 1 stop less noise, so you could push them more. They also have better IBIS, which may help also. However, if 1/10 s is really the limiting factor (movement), you may end up with some heavier and faster (and more expensive) lenses, or indeed wider lenses. In the latter case the question arises whether they could be manual or not, 3rd party or not, as a 12 F/2 for example will give you about 1/8s in the same circumstances, which you could maybe push to 1/16s with the newer, 20MP bodies. If not outside of budget (or perhaps used) the PL 12 F/1.4 could be an option, but that is heavier as well.

I think I saw Adorama still had new em5IIs in stock. longevity and durability is much more important. Plastic doesn't bother me, I do take great care of my equipment. .... the batteries are cheaper now .... can buy a couple extra.

As for phase AF, I don't know what that is so that won't matter to me.
If longevity is important, the EM-5 II really goes out of scope, as it si an older camera, by quite a few years now. If that really is an important issue, you'd have to end up with the MK III of EM-5 or EM-1. Longevity and support will last lomgest with the newest bodies.
As to batteries, see point 2. I used to carry around 5 batteries with the EM-5 II, and with the EM-1 II I find two is plenty - and i love that; less to lose, and less to carry extra.

Phase AF, especially in difficult situations, is very important. CDAF is just not as reliable, and is quite slow. Phase AF is basically what Canon has, although they have quite an improved version these days compared to your former Canon camera. Even so, the EM-1 II and III are in a similar ballpark with focusing abilities as the newer consumer and prosumer Canon bodies.

Based on all of your remarks, I would sincerely suggest you'd get one of the bodies you indicated in your first post (EM-5 III, EM-1 II, or EM-1 III), and not get an EM5 II.
Anyway, just some of my thoughts.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought my E-m5 mark III in February, and I don't believe there were any of the third party grips and 1/2 cases that targeted the E-m5 mark III specifically when I bought it. Compared to other bodies, even now the choice is rather slim.
Yeah, I know, and that is weird, IMO. Maybe the photo accessories people had some inkling of what was going on and decided to wait for a bit to see how things shake out.

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
Wim, thanks for all that!! I'm hesitant about the em5II because it's only $200 cheaper, not enough savings really over the III.

I really like the idea of getting an extra stop for noise since I do shoot in low light a LOT. Band stuff it doesn't matter as much since it can kind of be grainy, but for some other stuff it can be an issue. I shoot lightning bugs and star trails a bit in the yard and over the last year or two the noise levels have become bad enough I didn't do it at all this year.

My 40-150 is a little more than the weight difference and carrying it around is ok (in my lap so I don't drop everything,) I held them plus the 12-40 and it's really not that bad, it might be bad for longer periods of time, but I can maybe go back to using a strap more. If the grip hurts it'll be a problem, if it's better than the em5I then it'll be fine I think. honestly I don't know the size of my hands. They're almost as big as my husbands who wears a mens large for gloves, but they're much thinner. I have long thin fingers but they cramp up real easy, often. I tried one camera (wish I could remember what it was so I could look it up again to see exactly what it looked like around the grip) and couldn't hold it for more than a min or two it immediately cramped my hand. My old 30D/60D were both very comfortable. I think a bigger grip with a shorter (in height) camera is what makes it cramp, a taller camera gives the base of my palm under my pinkie something to get support from and helps take the strain away from my fingers and wrist.

My husband knows a bit about computers but not a lot about the USB, he did find a USBc to USB little thingy that you plug in (not a cable just a plug type thing) he thinks might work, but he's not 100% sure. He said it's only $5 so we can try it out.

With how unsteady I am (why I don't shoot macro as much any more) better IBIS is a big bonus.

1/10 is not good not because I can't hold it still enough, but because the guys don't stay still for even a second, so I need something brighter to get faster shutter speeds. Luckily I know them all well enough I know what they do for every part of every song (I shoot them sometimes at rehearsals, but I also do their promos too) so I am able to anticipate what they'll be doing. I was all proud of myself because I could hold still for a 5sec shot of the christmas tree last year. So that's not quite the issue, the subjects are the issue. ha ha!

If oly included two batteries with the camera and sold them cheaper I might think harder on the em5III. But having to buy 3-4 batteries means money off what I can spend on the camera and lenses. And looking through photos I took of a vulture on our garden fence yesterday my poor cheap 40-150 just can't handle it. So I might need to buy two lenses not one.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wim, thanks for all that!! I'm hesitant about the em5II because it's only $200 cheaper, not enough savings really over the III.
It's only a pleasure! As to savings, that is what I expected, indeed not the trouble, getting a better sensor, lower noise levels, better IBIS, and an up-to-date body.
I really like the idea of getting an extra stop for noise since I do shoot in low light a LOT. Band stuff it doesn't matter as much since it can kind of be grainy, but for some other stuff it can be an issue. I shoot lightning bugs and star trails a bit in the yard and over the last year or two the noise levels have become bad enough I didn't do it at all this year.
That one stop should certainly help. Not the be all and end all obviously, but personally I really like it, as I like shooting in the dark as well :).
My 40-150 is a little more than the weight difference and carrying it around is ok (in my lap so I don't drop everything,) I held them plus the 12-40 and it's really not that bad, it might be bad for longer periods of time, but I can maybe go back to using a strap more. If the grip hurts it'll be a problem, if it's better than the em5I then it'll be fine I think. honestly I don't know the size of my hands. They're almost as big as my husbands who wears a mens large for gloves, but they're much thinner. I have long thin fingers but they cramp up real easy, often. I tried one camera (wish I could remember what it was so I could look it up again to see exactly what it looked like around the grip) and couldn't hold it for more than a min or two it immediately cramped my hand. My old 30D/60D were both very comfortable. I think a bigger grip with a shorter (in height) camera is what makes it cramp, a taller camera gives the base of my palm under my pinkie something to get support from and helps take the strain away from my fingers and wrist.
As to hand size, if you are in the US, that means you probably have M to L in European size, if in Europe, it will likely be M size.
As to comfortably holding the camera: I have rather large hands, and the EM-1 is about as comfortable as my EOS R. I did own the EM-5 II, which was much less comfortable for me because of the relatively shallow handgrip, which made my pinkie fall underneath the camera. No such thing with the EM-1, it is very comfortable, for me anyway. My fingers aren't very long, 60 mm to 90 mm (pinkie to middle finger, index finger 80 mm), but I have rather wide hands (about 115 mm to 120 mm).
Only my EOS R is more comfortable to hold, and the EOS RP had the same problem for me as the EM-5 II, namely that my pinkie fell underneath the body in an uncomfortable way. The funny part of course is that the EOS R and RP are both FF cameras :).
I owned 350D, 400D, 40D, 5D, 5D II and also shot with 50D, 7D, 7D II, 1D III, 5DsR, and found 40D, 5D and 5D II most comfortable prior to getting the EOS R. The former were quite heavy, however, unlike the EOS R :).
Just mentioning all this so you may be able to compare. 30D/60D essentially are in the 40D/5D/5D II category sizewise anyway, so the EM-1 II (or III) may well be right for you too. I think that because of the somewhat larger grip, it maybe easier to hold on too, as in, less chance to drop it accidentally.

Both with EM-1 II and EOS R the bottom of the grip fall on the outward bend of the inside of my palm, IOW, on the "bump" that is the extension of my pinkie, and the pinkie nicely falls on the grip. My hand starts cramping thse days if my pinky falls underneath the body, and that is just with old(er) age :).
My husband knows a bit about computers but not a lot about the USB, he did find a USBc to USB little thingy that you plug in (not a cable just a plug type thing) he thinks might work, but he's not 100% sure. He said it's only $5 so we can try it out.
Something like this? https://www.gsmpunt.nl/kabels/usb-t...MIsfSNvbuv6gIVSRV7Ch3gCgg8EAQYAiABEgL79vD_BwE
With how unsteady I am (why I don't shoot macro as much any more) better IBIS is a big bonus.
Yes, it is indeed - speaking from experience here :).
1/10 is not good not because I can't hold it still enough, but because the guys don't stay still for even a second, so I need something brighter to get faster shutter speeds. Luckily I know them all well enough I know what they do for every part of every song (I shoot them sometimes at rehearsals, but I also do their promos too) so I am able to anticipate what they'll be doing. I was all proud of myself because I could hold still for a 5sec shot of the christmas tree last year. So that's not quite the issue, the subjects are the issue. ha ha!
Interesting! Looks like you do the same I do. Anticipate, and shoot :). I liek to use fast lenses, however, and even shoot fast Canon glass with a Metabones speedbooster for MFT to get even faster glass :).
If oly included two batteries with the camera and sold them cheaper I might think harder on the em5III. But having to buy 3-4 batteries means money off what I can spend on the camera and lenses. And looking through photos I took of a vulture on our garden fence yesterday my poor cheap 40-150 just can't handle it. So I might need to buy two lenses not one.
I honestly love those larger batteries of the EM-1 II (and III). I think they are a godsend, and you only need 1 extra, IMO :).
In case of the EM-5 III that would likely be 3 extra, maybe 4, however :).

Well, a second lens could possibly the Panny 100-300. The Mk I can be had reasonably cheaply used these days, if that is an option for you (still quite a big lens, though :)).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
As to hand size, if you are in the US, that means you probably have M to L in European size, if in Europe, it will likely be M size.
As to comfortably holding the camera: I have rather large hands, and the EM-1 is about as comfortable as my EOS R. I did own the EM-5 II, which was much less comfortable for me because of the relatively shallow handgrip, which made my pinkie fall underneath the camera. No such thing with the EM-1, it is very comfortable, for me anyway. My fingers aren't very long, 60 mm to 90 mm (pinkie to middle finger, index finger 80 mm), but I have rather wide hands (about 115 mm to 120 mm).

I owned 350D, 400D, 40D, 5D, 5D II and also shot with 50D, 7D, 7D II, 1D III, 5DsR, and found 40D, 5D and 5D II most comfortable prior to getting the EOS R. The former were quite heavy, however, unlike the EOS R :).
Just mentioning all this so you may be able to compare. 30D/60D essentially are in the 40D/5D/5D II category sizewise anyway, so the EM-1 II (or III) may well be right for you too. I think that because of the somewhat larger grip, it maybe easier to hold on too, as in, less chance to drop it accidentally.

Both with EM-1 II and EOS R the bottom of the grip fall on the outward bend of the inside of my palm, IOW, on the "bump" that is the extension of my pinkie, and the pinkie nicely falls on the grip. My hand starts cramping thse days if my pinky falls underneath the body, and that is just with old(er) age :).

Something like this? https://www.gsmpunt.nl/kabels/usb-t...MIsfSNvbuv6gIVSRV7Ch3gCgg8EAQYAiABEgL79vD_BwE

Interesting! Looks like you do the same I do. Anticipate, and shoot :).

I honestly love those larger batteries of the EM-1 II (and III). I think they are a godsend, and you only need 1 extra, IMO :).
In case of the EM-5 III that would likely be 3 extra, maybe 4, however :).

Well, a second lens could possibly the Panny 100-300. The Mk I can be had reasonably cheaply used these days, if that is an option for you (still quite a big lens, though :)).

HTH, kind regards, Wim
My pinkie is 60mm, my middle finger is 80mm and the width is 80mm as well. And yes my pinkie falls off the bottom of the em5, not very comfortably.

I've owned the 30D and 60D and have shot with the 50D and 5D and 5DII and all felt about the same, or at least close enough.

Yes that USB thing is very close to what the one he found is. So if that works then I should be fine!

And I've been told many times I have a unique eye when it comes to timing for photos especially with candid shots of kids and the band. I hate shooting promos since I'm not good at posing people, but the shots turned out fine. It's super fun to make them stand as close as they need to be for the shots and try not to get them all laughing, for a more serious photo I think half of them were unusable because we were all laughing so hard!

It's good that I'll only need 2 batteries, I don't want to have to have 4 batteries when I go out.

And yes that panny is one I'm looking at very closely. I was thinking the 75-300, but I want something a little better then what I have and I worry that one won't be great compared. Since my 40-150 is basically worthless I'll just keep it for when I can't handle the weight of the 100-300. Which normally if I feel bad I can't take photos period, but if there's something fun in the yard and I want to grab a shot of it, the weight won't be a problem for that. Now when I go out for a bit in winter my back starts screaming at me within a few mins, even without a camera. Funny enough my birds here are so used to me I can stretch and bend over without them getting scared. They're "bad" enough that min focus is sometimes to far and I could use the macro for them! They'll eat out of our hands etc... The other lens I'm thinking of is the 12-45 (or 12-40 2.8 but I'm not sure of the weight as my every day lens) to replace my wonky 12-50EZ. And I'd love the PL15 or PL12 as my wide prime and a 45 of some kind. But that'll be a bit to be able to afford all that. It'll be hard to chose which one to get first!!

bobswims

New to Mu-43
OK to kind of answer a few things...

1- my health sucks, bad. I have an auto-immune arthritis that affects my back, hips, knees, shoulders etc... but especially my hands and fingers. So ergonomics and weight are an issue.

But, and here's the reason I'm on this forum asking, the closest camera shop that will have all three olys is 3 hours each way between car, train and taxi. I can't easily do that on a good day, let alone just any old time to check out the 2 (3) cameras in person. I mean sure, the shop I buy from (Adorama) is that close shop which is awesome, but I've never actually been there in person, when we go to the city it's for other things not camera shopping. I also haven't bought anything aside from a battery in probably 5 years as when I have a kit I like I tend to stick with it.

I had tried another camera that family had and it was lighter than the em5 but the ergonomics made it horribly uncomfortable to use. So that's a slight concern with the em1. Adorama is pretty good if I need to exchange it, so worst case if I can't stand it I can swap it out. But some stores are weird right now due to COVID19 with returns. I'll have to call them to make sure it'll be ok.

2- I do shoot both ways, if it's something I need quick the camera stays on all the time, if it's something I can handle a little slower I always turn it off to save the battery. I can't have heavy lenses so them using power isn't an issue for me. I use regular IBIS and don't have it set up to stabilize in the viewfinder/LCD since it makes me nauseous when I use it that way. Not sure if that uses less power or not?

3- I don't want a used camera because I need it to last me as long as this one did. I will buy used lenses but cameras to me are like cars, I'd rather buy them new with full warranty and have them until they're almost useless for me. I don't like inheriting problems since I can't afford to buy new stuff often. This camera has 73k shutter count and isn't exposing right any more and has a crazy increase of noise with longer shots compared to just a year ago, and I dropped it for the first time three days ago because, and I swear the timing on all this going wrong is impeckable, the back thumb rest just popped off and I couldn't hold it since it was so shocking that it happened. Luckily I was grabbing the camera to shoot an animal in our yard and I was still in the house and it fell on a rug so it's fine, but that thumb rest is making it almost unusable. My husband might try gluing it, but since I'm getting something new I've been dealing with until then.

4- as for what's different with the cameras aside from this other stuff, I hate to say it I could care less. The way I use my cameras has always been the same since film. I set it up as close to my old Canon A1 as possible and ignore all the extras. I do really like weather protection as I do shoot in drizzles and snow especially. I do shoot in really cold weather too, around 0*F without any issue aside from my fingers freezing. Something I do appreciate is the IBIS due to my wobbliness. But higher MP doesn't do anything for me since my old computers can't handle large images, and can't handle RAW, yeah I know I know, but I can't afford a new computer too and I hate that they don't have DVD drives in them any more. I'm too old to want to change! ha ha ha!! Also with the in camera charging I don't think my USB port will do that will it?? My laptop is 8+ years old and the desk top (where I have ancient photoshop) is about 12+ years old! So whatever USB they have is what it is, I don't know what USBc is or whatever it is.

My budget is about $1000 but I might be able to push it to the $1500 for the em1III but I might prefer the mkII and a new lens to put money to a little better use. One of my lenses (the cheap kit 12-50 that came with the camera and is used often as a walk around for me when I only want 1 lens) is kind of making a weird noise, but it's been going on for a year now and it still works. But when it decides it's done I'll need something else. I'm not sure I want to wait until it dies or get something before it happens. But I'm also wanting another lens to add. I need a wider prime and a longer prime since I sometimes shoot my husbands band and the lighting there can be very tricky (think ISO 6400 with a 25 1.4 prime struggling at 1.8 with shutter speeds of 1/10 or less) so another prime to do that would be great. I've always done really well with cheap glass, hell my most awarded photo was taken with a p&s that I only kept for 2 days because it wasn't enough for me (when I first went from film to digital in 06 I thought a p&s would work and then exchanged that for the Canon 30D) but due to weight I've always shot with the budget glass and have always been mostly happy.
Buy both from Amazon to see how they feel. Return the one you don’t like. Just make sure it is sold and shipped by Amazon. Returns are easy.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's good that I'll only need 2 batteries, I don't want to have to have 4 batteries when I go out.
Read my prior posts about battery.

My experience with the Olympus E-M cameras is that battery run time is based on power ON time, not the number of shots taken.

On my EM1-mk1
  • While on vacation, it did not matter how may shots I took, the battery lasted about 4 hours (continuous ON). Day after day after day.
  • On vacation, I used 3 batteries, with #3 regularly being used to almost empty. I could have very easily have drained #3 and been stuck. So, when I came back from vacation, I bought a 4th battery, to give me a buffer.
On my EM1-mk2
  • I shot over 1,000 frames in 2-1/2 hours, and still had battery power left.
  • I shot about 350 frames in 3-3/4 hour, and the battery was empty and had to be replaced.
It is about HOW you shoot.
If you shoot like I do, you will very likely need 4 batteries (EM5), to last you a full day. And 3, for the EM1-mk3.
The more you can turn the camera OFF or put it to sleep between shots, the longer the battery will last.
If you are not going to shoot for 4 minutes or more, turn it off, and save the battery.

The other variable is the lens. A power hog like the 12-100/4, will drain the battery faster, 2-1/2 hours on the EM1-mk1.
But it is constant, and does not change based on useage shots or time.
The larger capacity EM1-mk2/mk3 battery will last longer than the smaller EM5 battery.

Personally, I would start with 2 batteries, the one with the camera + 1 spare.
Then see if you need a 3rd or 4th battery, based on how YOU use the camera.

Last edited:
Real Name
Deryck
I'm hesitant about the em5II because it's only $200 cheaper, not enough savings really over the III.
Absolutely, no brainer if that is the best deal you can find, it has to be the em5-3.
You can still find a new mark 2 in the UK for £500 cheaper than a mark 3, hence my suggestion.

When I got my em5-2 it was £1000 cheaper than the, then, brand new mark iii (and I was able to buy a Sigma 56, Pany 15 and Laowa 7.5).

Real Name
Margaret
My pinkie is 60mm, my middle finger is 80mm and the width is 80mm as well. And yes my pinkie falls off the bottom of the em5, not very comfortably.

I've owned the 30D and 60D and have shot with the 50D and 5D and 5DII and all felt about the same, or at least close enough.

Yes that USB thing is very close to what the one he found is. So if that works then I should be fine!

And I've been told many times I have a unique eye when it comes to timing for photos especially with candid shots of kids and the band. I hate shooting promos since I'm not good at posing people, but the shots turned out fine. It's super fun to make them stand as close as they need to be for the shots and try not to get them all laughing, for a more serious photo I think half of them were unusable because we were all laughing so hard!

And yes that panny is one I'm looking at very closely. I was thinking the 75-300, but I want something a little better then what I have and I worry that one won't be great compared. Since my 40-150 is basically worthless I'll just keep it for when I can't handle the weight of the 100-300. Which normally if I feel bad I can't take photos period, but if there's something fun in the yard and I want to grab a shot of it, the weight won't be a problem for that. Now when I go out for a bit in winter my back starts screaming at me within a few mins, even without a camera. Funny enough my birds here are so used to me I can stretch and bend over without them getting scared. They're "bad" enough that min focus is sometimes to far and I could use the macro for them! They'll eat out of our hands etc... The other lens I'm thinking of is the 12-45 (or 12-40 2.8 but I'm not sure of the weight as my every day lens) to replace my wonky 12-50EZ. And I'd love the PL15 or PL12 as my wide prime and a 45 of some kind. But that'll be a bit to be able to afford all that. It'll be hard to chose which one to get first!!
I'm looking at the E-M5 iii as well. According to B&H, the $200 off body-only promo for $999 ends on July 5.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have (had) all three, but for overall use, the E-M5 III is my choice. A few brief points.

I find the battery life is actually better than I experienced with my E-M5 II or my Pen F, even though the batteries are smaller. And, I have had no problems with the aftermarket batteries like I did with my E-M5 II. I just bought one of those 2 batteries and charger deals for under $20 at Amazon and good to go with 3 batteries total. But, I have never used more than a battery and half of a second in a full day.

The composite body of the 5.3 does feel different, not bad....just different. The light weight is great, not much different than my E-M10 III, the size is about the same as the 10.3, but has the innards of the E-M1 II. The autofocus is just great with the PDAF and the image stabilization is so good my tripod is a thing of the past, for almost every thing. I did add a cheap ($10) half case from China which gives a bit more purchase and feels really good in the hand. I considered the OEM add on grip, but it made the camera about as big as my E-M1 III and with any lens up to the 12-100 it wasn’t needed anyway.

My favorite all around lens on the E-M5 III is the 14-150 II, even though I have the new 12-45 f/4 Pro. The 14-150 on the 5.3 is just amazing in that I can use it wide open at 150 mm for flowers, bugs and birds....and shoot those little fidgety critters at 30 frames a second. So if you need a lens to replace your 40-150, consider the current Olympus E-M5 III/14-150 kit deal. I suspect you will be delighted.

BTW, I use the free Olympus Workspace software if I want to convert the raw files. Works great, and applies the JPEG camera shot settings to resultant Tiff files for further processing in Photoshop, if needed.

E-M5 III with half case and 12-45 f/4. All other photos shot with 14-150.
5675233A-E089-4A0B-ACBA-20CB26333A3D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

992EA452-6D07-43AC-A625-4B5555524121.jpeg
979F37BF-6BBB-4DF4-BB30-885BDA874FE4.jpeg
B65D0BA1-CA5C-4946-B547-52BD04EAF010.jpeg

Last edited:

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular

Having read through the thread and the fact that I used to shoot with EM5 II and now recently added EM1 III, I think you should really consider EM1 II. I was so afraid of that extra weight 100g between EM5 II and EM1 III. So far, I am glad with the purchase of EM1 III and not EM5 III.

Since you don't do any heavy and large lenses, the weight jump won't be too much. On the other hand, the ergonomic of EM1 II, which is similar to EM1 III and is much better than EM5 series.

The reason I bought EM5 II has to do mainly with the design and weight. My daughter is growing and moving a lot faster these days so I do need PDAF. So that was the main reason I looked and ended up with new camera with PDAF capabilities.

You will get a lot more with EM1 II for just a bit more money.

Cheers

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
Update, due to the rebates ending very quickly on me, I made a snap decision and got the very last silver em1 mkii Adorama had! I was scared they had sold out on me when I ordered it since it didn't ship right away like they normally do, but when I called to check they said it was taking a day or two to get the last one from the retail store. The first day or so I was worried about the weight and a few other things that are different, but I'm getting used to it. I took some shots of the comet and stars the last few nights to put it through the paces and it seems to be doing well. Some of my high ISO shots are coming out a little washed out compared to the em5i but I might need to mess around with the settings more. I also need to figure out how the turn that annoying focus beep off. I must be missing it somewhere in the manual?!? I also can't do the firmware update since my computer is too old. My husband's work computer he has at home due to the pandemic might work though. I hope! I love the in camera focus stacking with macro!! I don't like the LCD thingy, I REALLY miss the ability to tip it up to take low angle shots, having to twist it out and then tipping it up makes it harder to use. I've only taken a "selfie" once in my life that wasn't on a tripod, so I don't need it to twist out like that. Oh well.

Now the problem I'm having it hooking up the USB to my old desktop that has an old version of PS on it that I use and it won't see the camera at all. On this (again old) laptop it does ok, it'll see it but it's not acting like the em5i did when transferring. So does anyone recommend an SD card reader or something? Remembering both computers are old, so new readers might not work.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom