em5ii vs wm 10ii video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by travelbug, Feb 14, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i read somewhere that the em5ii video codec got an upgrade with the latest firmware (dec 2015). so how do this 2 stack up in terms of video? examples would also be much appreciated.

2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    The EM5 II codec in general was updated when it came out. The only thing that was updated for video for the EM5 II was the flat profile. Honestly the video for the EM5 II is really good. I came from a G3 Panasonic and I'm impressed. The IBIS is amazing! I can walk around and film my daughters, animals, etc. I can do a lot in post that really helps the look I'm going after and steady it even more if I need to (usually I don't).

3. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    Would you say the flat profile is an actual video codec update or more of a filter than can be emulated in nle software?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Def not a codec just a profile where you have great control/latitude during post production.

5. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    thanks, does it add sharpness or clarity to the video? or does it add more color like putting a video/photo in vivid mode?

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Total opposite, it makes it flatter and less punchy for slightly easier grading. Not sure whether it's anything you couldn't achieve with -2 to everything (contrast, saturation, sharpness) on muted, with a -5 highlight and +3 shadow s-curve applied though.

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Agreed. I use natural with everything set to negative. I have yet to upgrade my fw from the original.

8. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    so its a filter. thanks.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What's the overall verdict on the E-M5 II's video quality? I know that the IBIS is impressive, although it does add a crop factor to the footage if I'm correct, but how about sharpness? I remember seeing some still grabs of a stationary scene comparing the E-M5 II to the E-M1, and the E-M1's footage was sharper. I shoot with 2 GH4's now, but have thought about picking up an E-M5 II due to it's smaller size, IBIS, and supposedly improved video performance. I'm not expecting it to perform like the GH4, but does its sharpness hold up in stationary and moving scenes?

10. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    ijm,

from the reviews and videos ive seen, both the mk2's have a nasty, sudden horizontal shift as ibis sometimes attempts to overcorrect. im not sure if this has been fixed by the latest firmware though.

11. daoust

daoust New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2016

You can choose 2 modes of ibis , 1 that crop with sensor shift and the other that is only sensor shift. When on second mode, no more trouble when panning, the video is fluid now.

Me I have one om-d e-m10 mark2 and I m also interested to know if it is as good as the m5 mark2. I konw the m5 mark2 have a better ibis.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016