1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5II video and thoughts (using in-camera crop mode and ext mic)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Steven, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am starting to really like the EM5II for casual video. I feel that the digital crop/zoomfeature (function button 2) is a really amazing feature since it practically gives you 2 different focal lengths to use instead of one. I was worried that the quality of the cropped video would be poor, but it seems good, and fits well with the rest of the video. I wish there was a way to change the crop ratio.
    I bought the Tascam TM-2X microphone that I tried out here. It's a very small microphone and has good reviews. I turned down the in-camera microphone all the way down, though I am not sure if that does anything here, and after some testing left the level for ext microphone in the camera menu at 0. Volume for external microphone cannot be changed during filming. Not sure why, the internal microphone levels can be adjusted during filming. Sound seems a lot better with the Tascam, more natural and wide, with better separation.
    The IBIS is as great as everyone says it is. Balances the video very smoothly without doing anything. With Panasonic + primes I used to carefully balance the camera against the body or forehead and try not to breathe. well, no more of that :)
    For this I used the selective color mode in camera to make it pretty much black and red. Seemed to fit the feel of the show. EM5II allows ISO up to 6400 in video mode, which is higher than GX7 at 3200. The lens used is 20mm/1.7. I used the AF+MF mode, but I only used the manual focus. I think it came out pretty well. I did no post-processing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Yeah dude, this is amazing. Sure you can get better result with the GH4, actually there is always something you can get better result with. But for the size and the price of the EM5 mark II, hard to beat that quality and it is so easy to get great result.

can you share your setting setting and button configuration to inspire me please?

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thank you! :) I don't actually know if I would have been able to get a better result from GH4 in that particular setting. If I used the same lens, 20mm/1.7, it would have been more shaky and I would not have the zoom in feature like I do with Olympus. Yes, sure I could have shot in 4K, but I have no software or skills to process the footage. So, I think for a casual user like me, Olympus may be better.
    What settings did you want to know about? I changed many of the button assignments after watching this video. very helpful, because I was very frustrated after trying to figure it out myself.
    I set the top buttons like this -
    FN2 - ISO and White balance
    FN1 - multi-function - Color creator, Highlight and shadow, S-OVF
    FN4- manual focus
    FN3 - focus peaking
    button on the front- magnify
    Lever - position 2 set to go to video mode
    I also unlocked the button of the 4-way controller. By default I think they don't do anything.
    right button - hold to activate or inactivate touch screen function. I usually keep them off.
    down button - shooting mode
    I also reprogrammed 2 of the modes on the PASM wheel (the ones I don't use, like SCN or ART to high contrast black-and-white modes. One in A mode, and one in P mode.
    In video mode, I programmed the shutter button to start and stop recording because I was used to this from Panasonic. the movie record button is now the auto focus button, so make sure not to program it to another function like I did first and then wonder why there's no auto focus in video :)
    IS mode 2 . AF+MF. To change settings during video, you have to click on OK button first, then you can change Aperture and Shutter speed, ISO, and others. This is more complicated than Panasonic, where front wheel is automatically assigned to change one parameter, and back wheel another. I wish this was possible with Olympus too.
    Good luck! :)

4. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016
    Whitehorse, Canada
    Thanks it help.
    How weird is that not assigning a function to a button makes it the auto focus...

I got frustrated yesterday with the myset functions.
    I get everything ready for video mode with button function off for the rec, fn1, fn3, fn4 so everything is autofocus and shutter is start stop like you suggested. i like it that way but it obviously is not good for still photos. I save everything in myset 2 and then re assign the button to different functions for still photo mode and save it to myset 1.

myset only keeps SOME mode and NOT ALL.
    The button always revert back to the latest setting you assign them to and do not change while change between mysets.
    I guess that is what i learnt and got frustrated with.

Is there a work work around? what are the actual setting that get changed between mysets?

thanks for any kind of infos.

5. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I def agree with you the EM5 II has proven to be a wonder for me. The 5 axis is amazing! I came from a Panasonic G3 and was used to trying to standing still or using a mono pod or holding my breath.

Not anymore! I can walk around and film my 2 little kids or stand still and pan and have the footage look like it is on a tripod. I have included a clip. It is just a test with only Grading and color correcting done.

No audio, post stabilization or what not. I think a lot can be done in post to give the EM5 II a little more cinematic look to it. Play it at 1080P for full delight ;)

• Like Like x 2