Em5ii - trying to learn video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pastor Vic, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pastor Vic

Pastor Vic New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2016
    Im new to this forum, but I absolutely love my OM-D E-m5ii. I use it primarily to document mission trips around around the globe. Though I have a lot to learn, I'm feeling fairly comfortable using my Em5ii for still photography. I love to produce videos of our teams experience using my photos, but I want to move to the level and incorporate video. The EM5ii is very customizable, making it difficult for a newbie. What are are the best settings to use for someone that is new to video, but wants to produce a good product? How about good resources to learn the basics of videography? Any help would be appreciated. You can see a sampling of my work by searching YouTube for "Spokane Nazarene Mission Kenya 2015"

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Welcome to the board. I watched your video and I have suggestions but will not be able to post until late tonight or, more likely, tomorrow. I think the E-M5 II will be well suited to your project and you will benefit from the IBIS. I have a couple of questions: what lenses do you have? And, have you considered purchasing an audio recorder like the the Zoom or Tascam handheld models?

3. Pastor Vic

Pastor Vic New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2016
    I currently have the 14-150ii and 25mm 1.8. I did rent a 70-300 for the trip, knowing I might benefit from a little longer focal reach while on safari. I do not currently have an external mic, but would consider one if I get further into video. TThanks for your response and I look forward to your input when time allows.

4. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Pastor Vic, the 25mm should be an excellent lens for 'normal' video recording. I recently purchased a Rode VideoMicro mic for $59 and it works great with my E-M1. It sits in the hot shoe and is forward directional. I highly recommend it!

5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Here's a starting point. An article on "systematic settings in manual mode", while based on the Canon DSLR, most of it also applies to the E-M5 now that the E-M5II has more framerate settings than the older model. I used to have the older model and loved the 5 axis IBIS but the one limited frame rate of 30fps was too limiting. I still use the basics from this article on my current GH4 and G7.

General Systematic Manual Settings In Video Mode On Canon DSLRs

One big change to this is the recommendation for the Hoodman Loupe setup. The best loupe I've found is this one:

Photography and Cinema - Store ยท QV-1 M LCD View Finder.

The QV-1 M is the one you want for Mirrorless models, the QV-1 (without the M) is for standard models like the Canon's and Nikon's. Be sure to watch the videos for both versions to see all the features. The magnetic release from the baseplate is VERY useful and convenient.

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hi Pastor,

I think that you will really like the IBIS on the E-M5 II for video. The IBIS will allow you to dispense with a rig, viewfinder, etc. Watching your video it strikes me that you are primarily taking opportunistic pictures and video clips hand-held. You will want to practice shooting manual, it is not hard to do. While a microphone is nice, they are light and easy to have with you, I was suggesting an external audio recorder as your video shows you to often be some distance from your subjects. Having both a mic and audio recorder will expand your audio capabilities. I, too, have the Rode VideoMic Pro and like it a lot. For some of your long distance nature shots I would suggest a fluid head, here is the one that I use: Manfrotto X-PRO 3-Way Head with Quick Release and QR Plate B&H I think that for the most part you will want to decide how you want your new video to look and practice taking clips to achieve that look. Good luck!

7. Pastor Vic

Pastor Vic New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2016
    Ok, here's what I've learned so far...since I want to be setup for quick video opportunities and can readjust for interviews, I've made the following settings into a myset and programed it to the movie mode on the PASM dial.

Manual mode
    C-AF w/ tracking
    Auto WB
    Auto ISO - max 3200
    Center spot metering
    AF - small single point center
    S-IS Auto
    Flat video profile
    FHD SF 30p

I'd like to have the MySet set the aperature to 4.0 for moderate DOF incase I don't hit the focus exact and the speed to 60 to match up with the 30p. For some reason, I can't get these settings to stick, is that an option?

I have FHD SF 60p as the next option in the movie mode for the slow-mo option when desired.

What do you think? Is this a good setup for a newbie looking to take quick videos to share our mission trip opportunities?

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I wouldn't preset the aperture, but that is just me. I think that AF is going to get you in trouble with some your shots; you have a lot going on in the background in some of your pics/clips, I think that AF is going to hunt on you. I suggest that you practice MF.

9. Pastor Vic

Pastor Vic New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2016
    I going to try C-AF w/ tracking, but I have the selector swith set so that if I move it to position 2, I get manual focus.
    Do you know how to set the aperature and speed as part of the MySet? Setting these to a general setting will help decrease missed opportunities.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FYI - a good book to have is: Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II by Darrell Young and James Johnson.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    To store the aperture you should turn the dial to A mode and set the aperture to 4. Now store the Myset.

Another example. I have a Myset for flash where I set M mode, 1/250 and f/5.6. When I select that Myset I am instantly in M mode with those settings (and other settings).
    I have another Myset with S mode and 1/1000 (and other settings too.)

• Like Like x 1