EM5II the best looking OMD yet?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hemuni, Jan 15, 2015.

1. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    I was never a fan of the design of the original em5. That viewfinder is just way to dominant for the overall design. The em10 is a much nicer looking camera and I'm very happy to see that continued and improved on the new em5II. Hope they managed to squeeze in the 5 axis also.
    I'm not sure I'm so happy about them going with the variangle as I personally prefer the flip screen, because it's faster to operate, but admittedly less flexible. At least it's a big indicator that Olympus is finally taking video serious. Just imagine, Oly 5 axis ibis combined with a descent codec, I'm feeling all giddy inside!

First Images of the Olympus E-M5II http://www.dailycameranews.com/2015/01/olympus-e-m5ii-first-images/

2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'm REALLY bummed out about the swivel screen. I love the flip screen on E-M5 and I'm having really hard time to get over that annoying swivel-thing. The on/off-switch is too far from right hand (needs 2 both hands to turn it on) but other than those two things... I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Interesting. 2 dials, that's good. I don't mind swivel screens. Good for doing videos or photos of yourself :) But really I like it because there are some angles you can't get with the current design. Looks like they added more custom buttons which is always good. I'm feeling optimistic so far ;)

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Looks really nice, well spotted!

Perhaps a little wider than the previous model to fit in the hinge mechanism? It's always good to have more programmable buttons, you can never have enough :smile:

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm honestly a little underwhelmed by it. Nothing screams to me to upgrade. Perhaps the Mk III will be different.

If one does not already have an EM5, this might be something they would consider, but it is still a tough sell with the functionality of the EM10.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks nice. I think the full swivel screen is a step in the right direction. As a landscape guy, the 40Mp effective resolution will immediately kill my thoughts of buying a Sony A7r! My only slight complaint on ergonomics is that the rear button (inside the 2-way switch) looks a little far to the left. I use back button focusing and found the position of this button on the E-M1 simmilarly too far left.

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Double posted. The site is really acting weird after the "Cloud SSD" crash from last night.

8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    way too fussy top plate, and whats with Olympus putting on/off buttons in strange places, (The last em-5 was in the stupidest place) whats wrong with under the shutter release, swivel screen not a problem to me , never been a fan of tilt screens

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like it. Saying that, I'll probably pick up an E-PL7 for the size and the way I shoot! :wink:

• Like Like x 4
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I still think the E-M5 is a little overly tricked out looks-wise, but that's not important. I actually like the swivel screen, I wish all articulated screens were like this, I want to be able to flip an LCD back on itself and just use the EVF. I know screen protectors do a good job, but it still makes me feel a lot better about letting a camera kick around in a bag or hang off my shoulder.

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Yep, I'm good with that - once the price drops a little I may pick one up.

Glad they went swivel screen, there's often times I need to use the GH4 instead of EM1 because of the shooting angle and the flip screen makes all the difference.

12. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yep I forgot about that. That is a good thing especially shooting in dirty or windy places as I often do. Its nice to just hide away the screen and feel safe about it :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I still like the looks of the original.

14. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    It looks rather fugly, like the entire OM-D range.

15. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I'd have to disagree. OM-D is so sexy compared to all the other brands.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, there are limited, at least for me, times when the 40Mp would be an advantage. I will be interested to see the dimensions, if it hasn't "grown" I will be adding it for video upgrade (assuming that the final specs are good). There is one spec that I have not seen yet and that is if it has a microphone jack; that is essential for me.

17. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'll probably keep my EM5, no compelling huge reason for me to upgrade yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I like the Mark II but I suspect I won't buy one for quite a while. I like the original E-M5 as well but didn't pick one up until I got a refurished one with the 12-50mm from Olympus for about $525. A sale of course.

19. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I don't like the design, too fussy and too many "things" - looks a bit like Nikon DF. I think the E-M10 is by far the nicest looking OM-D. Excited about sensor shift 40MP images though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like the current E-M5's power switch position. Better than the E-M1's - at least it can be operated with one hand.