1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 will not recognize Panasonic lenses.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zane73, Jan 23, 2014.

1. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    So, I just received my EM5 back from Olympus repair due to it not holding the time & date when swapping batteries. And now, it will not recognize my Panasonic lenses! I tried the 25, 12-35, and 35-100. The camera comes on, but there is no aperture setting or image on the display or in the view finder.

Anyone ever hear of this?:confused:

I can put my Olympus 17, 45, 60, or 75 on the camera and it works.

2. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    That's odd, maybe go to menu option and reset settings to factory default? I might think it was dirt on the contacts but it wouldn't affect all your panasonic glass at once... I would contact Olympus support and see if anything can be done by you. If not I guess it's time to ship it back to the service center. Perhaps someone else will be more helpful.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Is the firmware up to date?

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Wiggle the panasonic lenses after you mount them, and make sure the lens locking pin on camera body is dropping into the hole on lens mount. My Olympus 45mm comes up with a black screen quite often on my EM5 because it's a tight fit and the pin hangs up.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have had this happen on occasion with various lenses in the EM5 and the EP5. I take the lens off and put it back on making sure it's properly seated and the camera works again. It's disconcerting and a bit scary when it happens though...

6. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    There was a line item on the repair ticket stating that the firmware was updated. I'll check it tomorrow to make sure.

7. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    I tried wiggling them, but they are locked in tight and won't move much, if any. I did notice the lens release button seems a bit harder to press now. It's almost like it's catching on something.

Also, my Olympus 60 came up with the black screen too. I fiddled with the release button and the screen came on. It won't do the same with any of the Panasonic lenses, I tried.

8. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Just send it back again; also, they should have a time window for warranty on the repair, i suppose.

9. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Maybe the lens release button wasn't quite reinstalled correctly when they reassembled the camera. If the pin sticks out a little more than it did before, it may hit the bottom of the hole on the lens's mount and not fully extend when the lens is mounted. Then the camera thinks that the lens isn't mounted correctly and won't operate. I have a cheap adapter that had the same issue (it worked on my old GH2), but I had to drill the hole on the adapter to make it a little deeper before it would work. Obviously you're not going to drill your Panasonic lenses though!

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have just recently had the same problem with my 75-300 lens & even after removing & replacing it a few times it still didn't work, so I cleaned the pin & the hole which seemed to have very tiny metal shavings in it. After that it was fine.

That catching pin is how it happened for the Oly 75-300 (Mk II) lens. Don't send it back until you have tried cleaning around the locking pin & also the holes of the lenses. Rubbing around the pin of the camera & the hole in each lens with a lead (graphite) pencil will help too, but don't leave any excess about.

11. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    I called Olympus support early today and spoke with their level one person. Sad to say, but this guy was little more than a phone operator, there to just gather information and read from a script. He did ask me about the firmware version, and when I played dumb he put me on hold for several minutes before coming back to tell me how to check this (it was at 1.7). He then told me that someone from level two would contact me before the end of day, and that this was a high priority case.:rolleyes:

I'm so glad this was a high priority case for level one... I only wish that level two felt the same. I never heard a peep from them all day. I'm looking forward to Monday when I call back to inquire about my 'high priority' case number.:rolleyes:

12. Ross the fiddler

Have you tried cleaning the pin & the holes thoroughly to see if that made any difference?

13. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    How do you suggest cleaning the pin and holes? I have just cleaned mine and it improved my Panny 20mm which sometimes wasn't detected, but I'd like to hear if you have any suggestions?

14. Ross the fiddler

I just used a tissue on the pin & a jewellers screw driver to get into corners of the hole & then the tissue around the screw driver point & a blower to clear any minute particles left behind, as it seemed like metal pieces in mine. Follow that with a sharp lead pencil (blow out any excess) & that gives a little lubricant to it as well. That should take away that catching feeling with the pin release after that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    Just wanted to post up a quick update... I tried cleaning the pin, but there was really nothing to clear away. The camera was practically new, I purchased it as a referb in November. The pin would move freely with no lens attached, but seemed to bind a bit when any lens was attached. I did finally get some of my Panasonic lenses to work after playing around with the lens release and rocking the lens back and forth. But, by the same token, some of my Olympus lenses started to not be recognized.

Anyway, the level two Olympus tech had never heard of an issue like this. He did some basic troubleshooting and conferred with his peers, but ultimately he wanted to check the camera himself. So, he had me ship it directly to him, and he shipped me a brand new retail EM5 body kit overnight. So, I ended up trading my refurbished kit for a retail kit, and I was able to keep all the miscellaneous bits that went with the referb kit... he only wanted the body back!

• Like Like x 2
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's a good deal for you, assuming the new body recognizes your Panasonic lenses. Be sure to let us know.

17. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    The new EM5 body works perfectly with all my lenses. It came with firmware 1.5, I finally had time to update it to 2.0 and set it up to my liking tonight. It really feels good to have working EM5 again.