1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

em5 vs epl3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by roguedog, Apr 30, 2012.

1. roguedog

roguedog Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2010
    Ok..this might be noob question but currently have epl1 but have noticed the slow af when shooting friends kids over the weekend. So came here to read up on epl3 and discovered the em5.

I know many folks haven't gotten their new em5s but those that have that may also have had the epl3 or ep3..what are your thoughts?

I know that just on paper the em5 is the winner but and wondering about how much better the em5 is and if it's worth the extra dough. There's specs and there real life :-D.

Sorry if this a total "duh" question.

Btw. This forum convinced me 2 years ago to get my epl1. Love it. It's just a little slow and I'm missing shots.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You need to really ask yourself what problem will the E-M5 solve for you, and how much money is it worth to solve that problem? An E-PM1 can now be had for a scant $300, even. The viewfinder, weather sealing, and the new sensor are the big draw of the fancy new camera. Decide if you're willing to step up 500-800 on that, or whether you'd be better served by a lens or two.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The E-PM1, E-PL3, E-P3 and E-M5 focus nearly instantaneously outdoors and in reasonable indoor light.

If you put the kit lens of an E-PM1, E-PL3, E-P3 and E-M5 on an E-PL1 it will focus about twice as fast, but still not quite instantaneously. These newer kit lens sell for around $110-$150 on the Buy & Sell forum. That would be the least expensive option for boosting the focusing performance of your E-PL1. Other than focusing speed, the E-PL3 doesn't have a whole lot more to offer than the E-PL1 except improved video clarity (though also more rolling shutter wobble unless the camera is on a tripod).

The E-M5, on the other hand is quite a major leap for photographing fast action and a large leap in video performance. So if I was in your shoes I'd hang onto the E-PL1 until you are ready to make a leap to the E-M5 or you may simply wait 6-12 months for Olympus to bring out the E-PL4 which should have some of the hardware of the E-M5 that helps it shoot fast action in fairly low light.

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have an epl3 and I'm very happy with it more and more. Infact I'm delaying the purchase of the E-M5 because I have actually to decide if its worth the extra money.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Probably the camera is not slow, but the lens is. Invest in a better lens first, and try to leave enough left over for a more minor body upgrade. The E-PM1 which M4/3 suggested is a very good start, being so cheap that it should leave plenty over for some good lens upgrades. It is almost like the E-PL3 minus a couple buttons and the tilt screen. Or if you can buy the E-PL3 plus a lens, I would also go for that over the E-M5. I'm assuming you just have kit lenses, since you didn't mention...

Performance of any camera system is largely based on optics, with only a small part going to body functions. Body upgrades are important to make the most out of your quality glass, but if you don't have the good glass to start with then what's the point of investing in an expensive body to support that non-existent glass?

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What lens? If it's the E-PL1 kit 14-42, the first limiting factor is the lens. The newer 14-42II is considerably faster. As to the AF on the E-PL3 and E-M5, for standard S-AF, I've not seen any reported improvements on the E-M5, so I wouldn't use that as a purchase criterion.

DH

7. roguedog

roguedog Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2010
    Hmmm..wow. thought you'd all be enablers :) Actually the more I read the more it seemed that it might be better to wait for the em5 and see how it all pans out.

K..the lens I had was the Olympus 14-150mm. Guess I might as well invest in lenses which I can eek out the epl1 and improve its performance in the meantime. I like this lens cuz it gives me those flexibility. I don't like carting around a whole bags worth of lenses and this guys seemed to give me the most flexibility. Though now that I look at its specs it is slow.

Anyone have recommendation for lenses that are faster but still offer a similar range?

Sorry for noobness. Tia

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oly 14-150 isn't a slow lens. Some of the newer lenses will be faster, but if you can, get an EPM1 or EP3 (or even EPL3). They are coming down in price quickly. They focus near instantly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The biggest upgrade you can do is to get better glass. That will make a huge difference. Also, I agree that you need to ask yourself what it is that the OMD can do for you that you cannot get any other way? I think the OMD is a great camera but the Olympus E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 are all terrific cameras and can be had for substantially less. Even a camera like the Panasonic GH2 or GX1 with their 16mp sensors get pretty close IQ wise to the OMD and still come in at about half the price.

If it were me I would start with faster glass and see how that feels. A new lens can be used on a new body if you go that way.

10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The EPL1 is god awful slow. If you are finding 14-150 slow, getting a new lens might make it marginally faster, but then you'll have to switch lenses. Carry a bigger bag etc...Also some lenses will actually make focusing slower, the 20 1.7 for example.

It also lacks a focus assist light.

The EPL3 is Olympuses second fastest camera, it's faster than the EP3 in terms of FPS, but slower than the EM5.

Get the EM5 if you want it. Don't invest in new glass if you are happy with what you have.

I don't think the PM1 is worth getting if you are attaching a large zoom in front, I would much prefer the utility of the tilt screen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Epl3 and EM5 are my two favorite m43 cameras because they share the flip up screen, which is an absolute must for me. I have both and will probably be selling the epl3 very soon (as soon as I get around to listing it). The biggest advantages of the EM5 are high ISO and IBIS. I also love using the touch screen as a shutter button for street shooting, but this probably won't matter for most. And, of course, there's the EVF, which is nice but not essential for everyone. Depending on your needs and wants, the epl3 might be just as good, or not.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1