Em5 video help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by optigan, Jun 23, 2015.

1. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    I cannot get decent results shooting video with my em-5. I've tried my 14-42 mft and my primes. The continuous tracking is awful and zooming is impossible due to slow focus response. Does anyone have advice for me?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    What are you attempting to video?

3. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    I was attempting to shoot my daughters kindergarten performance. Outdoor daytime under shade. But even locking on to a kid next to her pull the focus. If I press the shutter half way to force a refocus it hunts

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I found that the AF-C and video focus on the EM5 in any automated fashion was frustrating at best. I got better results manually focusing on what I wanted, even to pull focus from one subject to another. I didn't do that much video on the EM5 when I had it because of the above.

The EM1 nd EM5 Mk II are better in this regard. I know that doesn't really help you much.

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Unless you are videoing things that are changing the plane such as objects coming much closer or further away I would use the single focus option, otherwise it will hunt. Most digital SLR/mirrorless cameras have that issue.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Always shoot video in MF. Having to press the shutter half way and have the focus go in and out is annoying to watch later, it takes you out of the moment.
    MF is by far superior than any form of AF or C-AF. If you have focus peaking great if not you'll do just fine. Just remember which way to turn the ring when
    your subject goes from near to far. I guarantee you will have better results and enjoy it a lot more!

8. optigan

optigan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Andy
    Thanks for the tips. I will go to manual and work the aperture but that and zooming is going to require an assistant director. How are people shooting with A7r's and gh7s?