1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 Video Edit Question

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by harrysue, Jun 11, 2012.

1. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I'm using Pinnacle Studio 15 on a AMD 6-core PC running Windows 7. It worked fine for EPL1 video. With the EPM1, I had some problems with editting so I set the camera to output JPG motion video and it worked OK.

I have some EM5 videos. They're MOV format and Windows Media Player won't read them, Apple Quick Time 7 can play them on my PC. However, the videos deteriorate to a fuzzy mess when viewed/editted in Pinnacle 15. I had hoped it could convert them to AVI, but it couldn't.

Any suggestions to edit/view on a PC platform? Could it be a video card issue? Is there a conversion program availalble?

2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Are you talking about the nasty combing streaks? I initially had the same problems too. But after some tweaking in Vegas Pro, I finally figured things out. This may not apply to your specific situation, but it could help should you decide to jump into Vegas.

1) In the project properties menu set the template to 1080/60i (29.970 fps) and the deinterlace method to interpolate.
    2) Once you import your clips to the timeline, right-click and disable resampling on all the clips. Want the 24P look? Slow the playback speed to 0.800 before you close the previous window.
    3) If you didn't slow down your footage, export the file with the 1080/60i settings, and all those comb streaks should be gone. If you slowed down your footage, export the clip as a 1080/24P file.

Good luck,
    Brian