1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 - two little things

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gwendal, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    For the sake of it/in case other users might be interested :
    - just discovered that when you are in image playback, pressing the OK button gives access to a number of options, including the very useful possibility to take audio notes;
    - also realized that any highlight/shadows adjustments are limited to the JPG, the RAW is not modified.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks for that first tip - could come in very handy.

As for the second, none of the image settings on the camera other than exposure and ISO (and WB to a much lesser extent) affect the raw files. Everything else goes into how the camera processes the raw files into jpegs and if you don't let it take that step, they're irrelevant. After experimenting with jpegs with this camera, I'm back to raw. I can just shoot and work out the processing decisions later... But I've done that with every camera except the Fuji X100 and now X-Pro, where the jpegs are so good I generally can't equal them with raw.

-Ray

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the tips. I hand't found the audio note feature yet, but think that will be cool.

4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    The same is true (in both cases) of the E-P1. (-:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Well... I had taken thousands of shots with my EP1 without even noticing it !