1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 - two 'issues' (75mm rattlesnake + metering)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 20, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, I've finally received my new EM5 today and had a couple of questions/statements.

First, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere (I've searched) but my 75mm (fw1.0) and EM5 (fw1.2) rattlesnaked SHOCKINGLY when used together. As in my mum could hear it from the next room... I've updated to fw1.6 (body) and fw1.1 (lens) and it still does it. None of my other Zuikos (12mm, 45mm) do it...

And my questions...

- is there any way to attach 'Metering' to a direct button? It doesn't appear to be under the options for any of the Fn buttons :confused:

- How do you change the focal-length for IS (with manual lenses)?

Cheers, Nick :)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On the second item, don't you press "info" when you are in the IS setting in the SCP?

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I've not heard a sound from my 75mm, if its making any sounds its less than the Pana 25 so I don't even notice, I just clicked my E-M5 on and focusing all over the place and its nice and quiet.

4. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks thats it :smile: Now the million dollar question - is it in actual focal length or equivalent focal length? The fact that it defaults to 50mm and there's a 24mm but no 25mm makes me think the latter...

For me, 12mm is essentially silent, 45mm is very quiet, 75mm chatters like a bunch of old ladies having tea.

5. Actual focal length. 50mm is the most commonly found manual focus lens which probably explains the default value.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The 75 chatters in my OMD in bright light.

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Just checked it going from straight at my 200 watt lights, to a black wall 10 feet away, the worst sound it made was a faint hum while it locks on AF absolutely no chattering whatsoever, in manual focus it makes no sounds.

If its chattering as bad as you say, I would return the lens for a replacement, I wouldn't think even if it does chatter it should be far quieter than what you are saying.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Not a peep from my 75mm.

G

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I got my 75 and OMD second hand ....

10. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Well, in a bizarre twist it's now absolutely silent.

I'm confused...

Can anyone shed some light on the metering-button question?

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Unfortunately, metering can't be assigned to a button. I bitched and moaned about this for a while. But alas, Oly didn't hear me out. It's the same thing with all other Oly mirrorless cameras since the EP1. Almost as if Oy has a thing against metering!!

12. Did you take the lens outside the second time? The only time that my E-M5 will consistently rattlesnake with any lens is indoors under artificial (fluorescent) lighting.

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Now that is getting really bizarre. My OMD doesn't rattlesnake at all with the PL25 in fluorescent light or any light. But it does with the 75. With all the different experiences by different users, I'm wondering if there are variances in the OMD production that may result in aperture blade chatter.

14. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Not a sound from my 75 on my OM-D.

15. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    expect more. My em5 has been nothing but issue after issue. The most problematic camera Ive ever had

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Mine has rattlesnaked a few times. I don't ever worry when it does it, I've actually had more issues with the camera freezing up due to the grip connection, which reminds me, time for some deoxit treatment. Camera certainly has a few issues but it takes amazing pictures, and almost always does exactly what I want it to do.

17. Jangir

Jangir Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Jangir
    My 45mm makes that sound indoor under artificial light when i point to bulbs and back to dark areas. I think it is blades

18. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    My 75mm chatters a little from time to time but I thank my lucky stars it's not nearly as bad as my PL25mm which is so loud it's a consideration whenever I think about where I'm going to take it!