1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 third-party batteries?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Mar 10, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm trying to find a third-party battery solution for my EM5 and I'm wondering if anyone has found a solid product that can use the Olympus charger?

If not, can you use the third-party chargers for the OEM battery that came with the camera?

Cheers, Nick :smile:

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nick, I went for this supplier (Betta Batt) in Melbourne last year because of their liability warranty, but it does use its own charger.

"Will using this void my warranty?

No. Using our products with your device will not void your warranty in any way. The only time using our products could ever void your warranty is if they malfunctioned and caused any damage to your device. Of course the device manufacturer would not want to pay the cost of fixing your device in that case, it is common sense. However when you purchase from us your device is protected by our $10,000 Damage Free Equipment Protection Guarantee*

* If our product causes any damage to your equipment under normal operating conditions only."

Here is the battery.
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Battery

And the charger needed for it. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Charger Replacement (Wall + Car Cord)
    It would probably be safe to charge the Olympus battery if needed because it puts out a lower charging voltage (I always use the Olympus one for the Olympus batteries).

I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks Ross

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I've got an order for a few decoded em5 batteries, from two different ebay sources. The decoded batteries are meant to be compatible with the original em5 charger.

They're got a long way to travel, but I'm estimating they'll arrive around the end of this month. I'm hoping I will get an opportunity to run some tests to measure the capacity and make sure they work in the original charger. Will report back when I've found out.

Here's what i've ordered:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"Full Decoded"? I wonder if that means it will fool the Olympus charger in emulating the temperature sensor of the original battery because I wouldn't be confident they actually include the safety over temperature sensor for charging purposes, especially when they are including the two pin charger with them. It's also interesting that the camera has contacts for all the contact pads on the battery.

I bought the HLD-6 grip & another Olympus battery (from CamBuy) so I had two genuine batteries in the camera (& grip) at the same time. The battery did cost me $77 though. While the aftermarket batteries work OK, I still feel better using the originals.

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I got a couple no-name brand ones off of eBay that are 'decoded'. They charge in the OEM charger just fine. I think I've probably cycled both of them twice. They they say they are the same capacity as the OEM unit, but seemed to last a bit less. Could be that I've only cycled them a couple times each. (Lithium based batteries do better after being worn-in a little!)

With the HDL-6, sometimes I'll keep the OEM battery in the body and set the grip battery to priority, then cycle the cheapies out.

7. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    I picked up two of the EZPower batteries from Amazon. One stays in the grip, the other is backup, they both work great in the Oly charger.

8. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    You mean EZOPower?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 App

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I bought Wasabi's that are working.

10. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    That are working in the camera or in the oem charger?

11. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I also bought Wasabi batteries. They require a non-OEM charger that was included with the batteries. You are supposed to be able to use this charger with the stock E-M5 battery also.

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I charge Wasabi's in the Olympus charger. Wasabi charger comes in handy after having depleting a lot of batteries and the need to charge two-up.

13. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    Yes, sorry, they are the EZOPower batteries.

Looks like they are not in stock at Amazon right now. Wish I had bought more.

14. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    How long have you been doing this and have you had any issues? How many shots do you get from the Wasabi's compared to the Oly OEM?

15. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Bump.

Trying to choose an extra battery. Preferably via Amazon.

Not sure if I should pay $56 for the official Olympus OMD battery, or choose a 3rd party one to save money. Any good suggestions? I would want same capacity as official, and no problems (of course). :biggrin:

Please recommend based on your experiences.

16. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Actually received both sets of batteries today... faster than what I expected! The batteries in the first link (from chinese seller), don't work in the genuine olympus charger... though it is possible they sent the wrong batteries. The batteries I received have different information from that of the ones in the picture. I will contact them and see how it goes.

The ones from upstart battery work in the olympus charger, and currently charging up now. Will report later on how they go.

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have to say, I'm quite dissappointed with these batteries. They are not performing as aspected.

The upstart OMD batteries do charge on the olympus charger. However they do not charge all the way up. They only charge to ~7.95V. Genuine olympus batteries charge to 8.6-8.7V on the olympus charger. Other generics batteries charge up to ~8.4V on their own generic chargers.

Running a discharge test on the first upstart battery... discharging the battery from 7.95V only gives a capacity of ~715mah. Much less than ~1200mah which I get from olympus.

I believe the upstart battery may be able to be charged further using a generic charger and NOT the geniune olympus charger. I will report back with more info as it comes.... stay tuned!

19. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI