1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 - space between small focus box grid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by YantaYo, Apr 12, 2014.

1. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi,

I was able to get the small focus box but there are spaces between the focus boxes in the grid. Anyone have a clue how to get a small, solid focus point grid for the EM5? It is completely worthless like this. Not even sure why this would be an option.

Thanks~

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think this is not possible using the arrows key. I usually focus on the closest point and then recompose just a little.

Otherwise with the touch screen you can place the focus box anywhere, and this could be an option for static subjects or when using a tripod.

I do not see this as a big problem, what is your specific situation?

• Like Like x 2
  3. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I almost always use the electronic viewfinder so toggling between the touch screen to get a usable small focus is a royal pain.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What did you do when a camera had less than 9 focus points?

• Like Like x 4
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    The smaller AF points seem to be more accurate than the larger boxes, so that's a plus. At least it seems that way in my experience. I just put it on single center AF point and focus-and-recompose, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    i set it to whatever place i want in a pre compose manner and shoot accordingly, it helps when the d-pad is set to move it though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's only more accurate from the fact it is only focussing on that smaller area of detail & not affected by surrounding detail (as much) that would happen with the standard or larger area.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    +1 for focus/recomposing.

Try it for a bit, and I bet you'll get used to it! :)

What really and truly was a PITA was when I was shooting the Canon 5D Classic and the 5D Mark II. The AF system is out of the 20D/30D, so it's designed to cover the small sensor. So we got a measly 9 focus points, all grouped together in the middle of the frame...whoopee.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yup, that's exactly what I mean.

• Like Like x 2