1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM5 - space between small focus box grid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by YantaYo, Apr 12, 2014.

1. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi,

I was able to get the small focus box but there are spaces between the focus boxes in the grid. Anyone have a clue how to get a small, solid focus point grid for the EM5? It is completely worthless like this. Not even sure why this would be an option.

Thanks~

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think this is not possible using the arrows key. I usually focus on the closest point and then recompose just a little.

Otherwise with the touch screen you can place the focus box anywhere, and this could be an option for static subjects or when using a tripod.

I do not see this as a big problem, what is your specific situation?

• Like Like x 2
  3. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I almost always use the electronic viewfinder so toggling between the touch screen to get a usable small focus is a royal pain.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What did you do when a camera had less than 9 focus points?

• Like Like x 4
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    The smaller AF points seem to be more accurate than the larger boxes, so that's a plus. At least it seems that way in my experience. I just put it on single center AF point and focus-and-recompose, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    i set it to whatever place i want in a pre compose manner and shoot accordingly, it helps when the d-pad is set to move it though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's only more accurate from the fact it is only focussing on that smaller area of detail & not affected by surrounding detail (as much) that would happen with the standard or larger area.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    +1 for focus/recomposing.

Try it for a bit, and I bet you'll get used to it! :) 

What really and truly was a PITA was when I was shooting the Canon 5D Classic and the 5D Mark II. The AF system is out of the 20D/30D, so it's designed to cover the small sensor. So we got a measly 9 focus points, all grouped together in the middle of the frame...whoopee.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yup, that's exactly what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.