1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigal1000, Aug 17, 2015.

1. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I turned my EM5 Elite switch to off and the LCD stayed on ? there was no responce using any buttons or the shutter release. I took the battery out and it's back to normal. It was a bad SD card I used the same card in my other Oly em5 same thing happened.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Yep, totally normal. Happens to me sometimes, but not very often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Don't worry too much, it's a great camera with nice image output!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I believe it's a card reading issue - try another sd card.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    These things are computers - sometimes they crash. Make sure you've got the latest firmware, it might be a factor.

6. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @bigal1000@bigal1000 My regular E-M5 has done it a several times, probably less than 10, in the last 1.5 years I've owned it but I've turned it off/on at least 3000 times in that time period as I'm quite often trying to get more life out of the battery. I've not seen any particular pattern to it but it doesn't worry me like it did the first couple of times anymore. It's a quirk unless it's happening to you often then it could be a sign of a problem with your particular camera.

7. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I have seen it with my E-M5 a few times, but always with the 'write' symbol on the back screen (orange square, top-left); it is busy writing pictures to the card. A faster card would solve it, but I never thought of it as a problem.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It's happened to my GM5 more than once, so it's not unique to Olmpus. Who can say what's going on without a software/hardware trace and knowledge of the source code and design. Latest s/w should be a good route, but knowing s/w developers and their inability to test every scenario, even with well structured s/w and equally good development tools, there's always uncertainty. That's why safety critical systems avoid s/w like the plague, and have dual redundancy with different h/w and s/w implementation, and separate development teams. But it doesn't stop there, similar cock-ups occur in chip design, basically they're too damn complicated for humans to get their heads around 100%.
    It could be the SD card, trial and error though, and I bet you convince yourself it's fixed, until the next time it happens.
    Solution to camera design: keep it simple.

9. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Used to happen to mine (regular em5) quite frequently. One of the reasons I sold it since Olympus couldn't give me a straight answer for why it would happen even after I had changed cards multiple times.

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    This sometimes happens to my EM5. I recall exactly when and where it first happened, where camera was in live view with no buttons working. Since then, maybe once or twice a year, but I cannot remember because the fix is so easy. Pull battery, power down, and carry on. Perhaps with a grip, it's much more grief.