Em5/ Panasonic G80/85

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jaomul, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I had an EM5 that I basically got rid of due I probably had to many cameras and lenses for a non professional. I then cut down my dslr kit also, and now pretty much have what I think an enthusiast needs/wants

My only issue is that I miss the small camera for day to day stuff. I have bought a gx1 recently (awaiting delivery) and came back on the forum here and ended up catching up with the latest M4/3 tech.

Long story short I really like the idea of a G80/85 and it seems to look very like an EM5 in layout. Is this a good choice, had anyone used both, I really liked the EM5 but now I like the idea of 4k photo. Weather sealing is why I'm not looking at the gx 80/85. Would I be as well off just getting a second hand em5, thanks?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well you are comparing two cameras that have 4 years in between them. The Panasonic is the better camera but that doesn't mean you can't take good photos with the E-M5.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Ok, this I know. What I probably should have asked is whether the new features and ability of the Panasonic is worth the outlay. I'm sure the images from both are probably nigh on identical. Thanks

4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The G80 is a dream to handle. 4K is outstanding. And I like the idea that the mic input socket is 3.5mm, unlike the GX8 with its awkward 2.5mm entry.
    One odd observation that I need to check out further is that it feels and handles picture stability better with the 14-140mm compared to the 12-60mm. But that could just be my impression.

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I do not have the EM5 only an E-P5 and the G85.
    As others have stated the G85 (80) is a dream camera. The 4K photo is also good, and the menu system is very good compared to Olympus.
    The main thing Olympus do better is stabilisation for me. Other things I like about the G85 are the pin point focus, picture in picture magnification for manual focus aid, mono view for use in B&W and colour photography.
    Lots of different strengths for both systems though. Personally I would not count on the weather proofing of either. I think it usefull for shooting longer before putting the gear away but would not shoot in actual rain, but I cant afford to replace my gear so I am cautious.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The G85 and E-M5 are shaped rather differently and the G85 is noticeably bigger, just bare that in mind. You may prefer one or the other when holding/carrying. The EVF in the E-M5 Mk1 is a bit dated, the latest models are much nicer to look through due to higher resolution (you'll have to check the specs on magnification though).

The G85 also works reasonably well with compatible Panasonic lenses for DFD C-AF. The E-M5 was simply hopeless at C-AF.

7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    They're probably similar for on-board IBIS. Neither are quite as good as the latest Oly bodies.

But the form factor is distinctly different. I wouldnt call them equivalents, tbh, unless you are going to 'grip' the Em5.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Also note that many of the 4K photo modes that Panasonic offers will only output jpeg files. Some do not mind this, but others who shoot raw may not find it as useful of a feature. Something to add into your decision calculus. Having said that, the G80/85 sure does tick off a lot of boxes for a potential buyer.

--Ken

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks all for the input. I'll think this one out for a bit.

10. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    What I like about the G85 compared to the GH2 that I also own, is that focus is clearly faster, and images in low light situations are way better too (even with the IBIS turned off and a faster shutter speed). I'm only disappointed to still have "only" 16mp just like in 2011 (GH2). But since I publish stuff online only and I rarely crop my photos, it doesn't really matter.

The very quiet shutter is a big plus also, I am less of a distraction for other people when I'm in the middle of a crowd.

I am repeating myself but coming from a GH2, I see the G85 like a superb upgrade at such an interesting price (for my needs anyways). But keep in mind that my lenses are worth more than the camera.

11. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    After all that I went with a gx80/85 today. I'll forgo the weather sealing and fn buttons for portability as I have a full nikon setup anyway so smaller is better. Seems nice but got to fully charge battery now

• Like Like x 1
  12. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I own both, I bought the G85 as a potential replacement for the EM5. Still wondering if I can let go of the old, trusty EM5. Overall, I like the usability better on the G85, and it's overall a better camera (especially if you like to do video). The G85's IBIS brings it a lot closer to the EM5 (in my unscientific testing, its IBIS is still not quite as good as the EM5's), and the weather sealing is a wash. Really, other than splitting hairs with the IBIS, the only thing that the EM5 has over the G85 is size (if you prefer small--I know I certainly do) and a little bit faster flash sync speed (1/250 vs 1/160--if you're a flash photographer, every little bit helps). Other than that, the G85 is better in continuous autofocus, burst, bells & whistles like post focus/stacking, 4k photo, and obviously video. Raw files about the same. Although the lack of AA filter makes it ever-so-subtly-sharper (REAALLY splitting hairs). I've tested each as soon as I got mine. Working on a video review. But those are my bullet points. If I had to pick one, it would be the G85. But I still can't let my EM5 go :) It's my perfect, tiny, stills-only camera--and I still use it for some event photography throughout the year due to my knowing its settings so well and its straight-out-of-camera jpegs that I often have to deliver.

Hope this helps.