1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 Noise Reduction Menu question?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Jan 2, 2014.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    So the noise reduction in menu G on my E-M5 is greyed out and set to off. I had an issue the other day and did an ordinary reset. I've always had this set to on in the past. Is this contingent on some other menu item that I might have changed inadvertently? Thanks.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you in PASM or one of the auto/movie modes? Lots of stuff gets greyed out outside of PASM.

3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Yes.

Also, According to page 89 of the E-M5 manual:
    -----------
    [Noise Reduct.]
    "This function reduces the noise that is generated during
    long exposures.
    [Auto]: Noise reduction is only performed at slow shutter speeds
    [On]: Noise reduction is performed with every shot.
    [Off]: Noise reduction off."
    ----------

If the E-M5 is anything like the older Oly DSLRs, the generally recommended setting for this Noise Reduct option is "AUTO". This type of noise happens only on long exposures from high temperatures, and it is best to let the camera decide when it is needed. This is mentioned on page 59:
    ----------
    "Noise in images
    While shooting at slow shutter speeds, noise may appear on-screen. These phenomena
    are caused when current is generated in those sections of the image pickup device that
    are not normally exposed to light, resulting in a rise in temperature in the image pickup
    device or image pickup device drive circuit. This can also occur when shooting with a high
    ISO setting in a high-temperature environment. To reduce this noise, the camera activates
    the noise reduction function. [Noise Reduct.] (P. 89)"
    -----------

The option for controlling what photographers usually think of as image noise is the Noise Filter option.

4. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm in aperture priority mode (changing to P, S, or M doesn't have any impact) and noise reduction is greyed out and set to off. It had been set to auto previously. If I try to access it I just jump to the next from the noise filter setting (which is active and I can change) I just jump to the prior gear menu. Seems very strange.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I just tried some different mysets and it's active in one of the mysets. So I must have something set that turns access to this off. I'll have to go through the mysets and compare settings.

6. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Figured it out. I've been using slow frame rate rather than single shot. That automatically sets the noise reduction to off. It makes complete sense. But I knew I'd initially set it to auto and then found that it was off when going through the menus and couldn't figure out what had happened. Thanks for your efforts to help.

• Like Like x 1
  7. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    sequential shutter release setting?

8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    That's an interesting set of conditions, SkiHound. It may make complete sense, but it is pretty hard to figure out all the option interactions going on sometimes. Glad you figured it out.

9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Pretty stupid not to catch it since it makes complete sense this would have to be off for sequential shooting. But when different settings interact its not always that obvious. Of late I've generally been setting 3.5 frames / second sequential shooting by default. I can still snap just 1 frame and if I'm out with the dogs I often like to use sequential shooting. And, if you're at the margins of being able to hand hold I can often get at least one useable shot in a sequence. But I knew I'd set this to auto so I was mystified for a while.

10. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    I guess it would ruin the frame rate.
    This NR function is actually "dark frame substraction". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-frame_subtraction
    Every shot is twice slower: the camera first takes the picture, then closes the shutter and takes a second black picture at the same speed. You can see it working on a very slow exposure in Bulb mode with Live Bub: once you release the shutter, the screen goes black and the camera seems to take ages to write on the SD card while it is capturing the dark frame.