EM5 Mode dial issue - Repair or DIY?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpriest, Oct 22, 2013.

1. dpriest

dpriest New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi,

Not sure if anyone else has this issue, which has recently affected my EM5.

Mode dial seems to change selection, without being moved.

or

If I flip out the monitor, mode selection changes.

I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor issue in the dial itself, so thinking that a blast of compressed air might help clean it out (if that's an option with it being weather-sealed?) versus sending in for repair.

Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Cheers,

Darren

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    A blast of compressed air might blow it off!!

3. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I'm now running into the same issue. Not a deal-breaker, but certainly a nuisance. I wouldn't expect it to be easy to clean since it is weathersealed. It seems to help if you toggle it a few times.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes. When I turn on the EM5 for the first time after it sat overnight, it sometimes flips between A and P mode about every 1 to 2 seconds, If I don't catch this and go into the MENU, it jumps out and displays A or P mode. It stops if I rotate the mode dial a click or two, and it seems good until I put the camera away. I don't recall it restarting during active use of the camera.

I cannot see a technician, being on the clock and having to meet his quota of fixes. being able to reproduce the problem until it gets worse, and mine started this 8 months out of warranty. .

5. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Re: Mode dial issue

Try pulling the battery out, switching the mode dial repeatedly around a hundred times or so, then putting the battery back in (I read this on DPR for an identical issue on the E510). Works fine now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dereth

dereth New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2017
    Your 3 year old advice solved my issue!

Original OM-D E-M5! THANK YOU!

You saved me from an unnecessary upgrade to a Mark II or a Pen-F!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Sorry, I have to disturb the party. The mode dial will get worse and worser over time! Flipping the dial longer and longer will only speed up the problem.

You can't avoid the repair if you want to use your camera in future. Been there, done that ...

Christof

8. 2112

2112 Mu-43 All-Pro

My E-M10 started doing that then one day it was stuck in Manual and no matter what I selected the camera stayed in Manual. Ended up sending it to Olympus for out of warranty repair. They ended up replacing the entire top of the body.

9. dereth

dereth New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2017
    Actually, I've been plagued by this issue for almost 2 years now. It was still tolerable until last week.
    Then I saw the advice, pull battery out, rotate the dial vigorously many times and well... it works perfectly now.

I'll continue using it and if it gets irreversibly crazy again, probably buy a new one instead of repairing.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The litany of dial problems with Olympus cameras amazes me. AFAIK it affects a long list:

- E-PM2
    - E-PL5
    - E-M5
    - E-P5
    - E-M1 (Mk 1)
    - E-M10

Thankfully it seems the more recent cameras (Pen-F, E-M1ii, E-M5ii and E-M10ii) seem immune. Progress !

11. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Just randomly changes from A to P then sits there and changes back. Very annoying. But I did buy it in Aug 2012 and it is constantly being used so it's not doing too bad.
    I might try the above fix.

12. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 Veteran

I have noticed a different but similar dial issue in my e-m5. When in S mode, I would turn the rear dial (which I've set as the shutter speed dial) to select a specific shutter speed, say 1600. Then from time to time, the speed will change by itself to some other lower value. Terribly annoying when shooting birds!

When using A mode, the aperture value is stable, thankfully.

Anyone else finding this problem?