1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 Mode dial issue - Repair or DIY?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpriest, Oct 22, 2013.

1. dpriest

dpriest New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi,

Not sure if anyone else has this issue, which has recently affected my EM5.

Mode dial seems to change selection, without being moved.

or

If I flip out the monitor, mode selection changes.

I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor issue in the dial itself, so thinking that a blast of compressed air might help clean it out (if that's an option with it being weather-sealed?) versus sending in for repair.

Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Cheers,

Darren

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    A blast of compressed air might blow it off!!

3. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I'm now running into the same issue. Not a deal-breaker, but certainly a nuisance. I wouldn't expect it to be easy to clean since it is weathersealed. It seems to help if you toggle it a few times.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes. When I turn on the EM5 for the first time after it sat overnight, it sometimes flips between A and P mode about every 1 to 2 seconds, If I don't catch this and go into the MENU, it jumps out and displays A or P mode. It stops if I rotate the mode dial a click or two, and it seems good until I put the camera away. I don't recall it restarting during active use of the camera.

I cannot see a technician, being on the clock and having to meet his quota of fixes. being able to reproduce the problem until it gets worse, and mine started this 8 months out of warranty. .

5. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Re: Mode dial issue

Try pulling the battery out, switching the mode dial repeatedly around a hundred times or so, then putting the battery back in (I read this on DPR for an identical issue on the E510). Works fine now.

• Like Like x 1