1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Em5 mkii lcd

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mach330, Aug 8, 2015.

1. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    So my lcd I think it's broken. Even when I hit the play button to view pix it won't show as well as hitting menu. Not sure if I pressed something by accident or not. But I can't even get to the menu. Only had it since may. Kinda sux. My ep3 lasted longer than this. How's the turnaround time from Olympus to fix this?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You should be able to see the menus in the EVF... from there, you could try loading the defaults.

But first, did you already try pressing or holding the LCD button (next to the EVF if it's like the E-M1)?

Barry

3. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    When I hit the menu button evf goes blank.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Even with your eye on the EVF?

Barry

5. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Yes. It's broken isn't it.

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm sorry to say, it is probably broken, and the worrying news is that you are not alone: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3813148

I just got a EM-5 II and after a couple of days light (testing) usage, the LCD stopped working. I tried everything, and I also had trouble getting the main configuration menu to show up in the EVF. (I eventually did and even a system reset didn't fix the problem).

I tried to get an exchange from The Camera Store (Calgary) where I bought it, but they didn't have any replacements in stock and didn't know when they would get any. So I contacted Olympus support who fortunately use a local company (Trinitek) about 30 minutes away from me to do their repair services. Trinitek had the LCD in stock and took pity on me (as I am flying back to the UK tomorrow) and repaired the in one day.

I used the camera all day yesterday, but I expect it to fail again (unless they have fixed whatever manufacturing defect causes the LCD failure). This is not comforting on such a premium product. I've not experienced this with any of my previous Olympus or Panasonic cameras or lenses.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Thx for the info. Wow didn't know more people has this issue.

8. okahn

okahn New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2015
    Same problem here. The LCD just stopped working after flipping it out for use a few times. I went through 80% of my 2 week trip to Norway taking pictures using EVF only - quite annoying not to be able to get to the full menus, view pictures in LCD etc. Haven't sent it to be repaired yet since I am going abroad again in Sept... Not very good quality, my original EM5 worked great for years.

9. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Sux bro . Might took about 10 days from shipping it to getting it back. I'm crossing my fingers it's a one time thing.

10. okahn

okahn New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2015
    I live abroad, they are talking about 30 days here... I will use it as is on one more trip then send for repair.
    In the mean time, for those with the same problem, I figured out how you you can get to the full menus by a roundabout way if needed - connect the camera with the supplied AV cable to a TV! This displays the "contents of the LCD" to the TV. I changed a few settings I needed this way until I get it fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Good to know on the menus. Thx.