em5 mk2 or gx7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by my06wagon, May 24, 2015.

1. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I have just brought a brand new em5 mk2 for a sale price I couldnt pass. With the intentions of selling my gx7 in the process.

Now I am finding it more of a sidegrade because my gx7 does the the em5 mk2 does minus the weather sealing and better ibis 40mpix etc. I do not like how my gx7 is noisy at iso 3200 and is awkward to hold.

I just feel the gx7 is simpler to use ergonomically from a functions perspective. I did have a play with it at the store before I brought it thinking ill get used to the menus.

Now I am thinking of selling the em5 mk 2 instead because I like the functions better.

Between the 2 which has better

low light autofocus.

Better iso noise

Battery life

How is the external grip with the em5 mk2
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There isn't enough difference in the technical image quality between the two cameras to keep the camera you don't like using.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep. Image quality is, for all intents and purposes, identical. Use whichever one you are happiest with from an ergonomics and features point of view.

AF is probably mostly a product of the lenses you choose rather than the body. With good lenses, both will be blazing fast. Battery life should also be largely similar, probably giving a slight edge to the E-M5 II, and the E-M5 II has an add-on battery option if you prefer.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX7 was released at the E-M5 II level, it is just 18 months older of a product. So it is not surprising you don't find it a massive upgrade - it isn't! :)

You are basically comparing a few year old Honda Accord to a brand new Toyota Camry. Sure the Toyota is newer, but it is still pretty much the same car....
  5. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    I don't own either camera, but I am considering one.
    My question, for those of you who know,
    is what is the comparison on the video quality, options, codecs, etc. between these two cameras?
    I know Panasonic has traditionally been better at video,
    but I've read Olympus stepped up their game with the E-M5 II.
    I am aware of the advantage of the Oly 5-axis IBIS.
    Does the (albeit inferior) IBIS in the GX7 work in video also?
    Thanks for any info you have.
  6. tkbslc

Short version: Gx7 has noticeably better video, but does not stabilize it.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I have both, and have to say that the stabilization on the em5ii is pretty magical. For my casual video needs, I much prefer the em5ii simply based on IBIS. I understand that the IBIS beats the OIS found any Panasonic lens as well.

The GX7 and em5ii are separated only by handling/ergonomics. I don't see any difference in image quality. I have the grip, which improves the handling of the em5ii very much. I also enjoy using the EVF on the em5ii much more than the GX7. I'm keeping both as I often shoot with two bodies anyways, I think they complement each other well.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have both and love both. The GX7 definitely has better low-light AF speed, as long as you aren't using its pinpoint or smallest-box-area AF modes.

I wouldn't go back to the GX7 for anything to do with video that wasn't on a tripod.
  9. tkbslc

For wider angle, or with OIS lenses, you certainly don't need a tripod.

I use my 15mm 1.7 or 14-42/45-150 OIS lenses.
  10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I used to think that. Now I've been spoiled. I'm such a brat.
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    The big question is...are you going to pass along the savings you made when you bought the em5ii when you sell it to one of us?
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Keep whichever one ticks the most boxes of usability and features. Photo quality will be pretty much the same, but for video quality the GX7 will be much better (although video quality doesn't seem to matter to many here. This is a photography community after all).
  13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm no video expert but I think that is a grossly exaggerated statement.

I think the M5II's video had some initial negative reviews, but that is now being counterbalanced by much more positive reviews as people find the best settings to use etc. We also need to put aside the statements from video junkies, the same people who were scathing of the GH4's video limitations upon its first release, from the needs of the general photographer who buys cameras like a GX7 or an M5II.

First the specs. The top bitrate for the GX7 is 28 Mbps, vs 77 Mbps for the M5II. The GX7 cannot take an external sound microphone, the M5II can.

If the video codec programmers for Olympus were as good as Panasonic's, there would be only one winner, but by all reports the Panasonic wins here, so that makes it a stronger competitor than it looks by the numbers alone.

Too many positive assessments of the M5II video quality are coming through for it to be dismissed as second-rate compared to the GX7 (the GH3 or GH4 are true class-leaders and I don't refer to them). ePhotozine said it succinctly: "(video) Image stabilisation is impressive, video quality is very good, and audio quality was also impressive.".

Even Kirk Tuck, a pro photographer doing video assignments for clients, who first thought his M5II's video was not good enough, is now full of praise after finding the right settings. He writes: "My first experiments with the camera weren't bad, they just weren't as good as what I was getting out other cameras, like the Panasonic GH4 and the Nikon D810, and I had an inkling that I could do better. ....I am happy now to say that I am finally very happy with the video in the EM5.2. " And he is going to be combining it with video from those other two cameras, for clients.

The impression I am getting from reading about it, for the non-videographer who wants to do some video work with this camera, is that the standard settings are fine unless you want to post-process the video, in which case you have to turn down some settings first, then tweak in post for competitive results.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its not. The Olympus files fall apart much easier, but I don't know how many here will notice or use video enough to even care.
  15. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I wish that was true for ALL OIS lenses. My lx100 OIS works very well, my P35-100/2.8 actually adds shake when shooting video on my Gx7.
  16. tkbslc

I think there was a lens firmware update for that issue.
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had a GX7 and now run an E-M1 and E-M5. I also took an EM5ii for a spin for a couple of hours. IQ across them all is nigh on identical - if you shoot raw. Maybe there's a difference in JPEG, but I never shoot JPEG so I don't know.

I loved these things about the GX7:

- Silent shutter (now available in the mkii of course)

- AF user interface - esp the precision point feature. I don't think it's any quicker in focus acquisition than the Oly system though

In comparison to the Oly cameras though, I didn't like these things:

- IBIS is next to useless

- IBIS doesn't stabilise the viewfinder - almost essential for MF using macro and long lenses

- EVF is small and has a tunnel-vision look to it

- No Live Time or Live Composite modes (these are superb once you understand what they can do for you)

Personally, as much as the GX7 is a nice camera, it doesn't match up to the Olympus OMDs IMHO.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with Paul about preferring OM-Ds to GX7, and I'm talking about the old E-M5 here. I went from the 5 to a GX7 and then back to the 5. Much happier with the E-M5, all things considered. My point isn't that it is clearly better, but rather that it is generally "close enough" so you can pick whichever you prefer, for whatever reason(s).

As for the OP, it seems he has both the E-M5II and the GX7 in hand. I would think some comparative shooting would help him much, much more than reading our thoughts on the matter.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    If is the super control panel that bothers you try to press the Info button to get a different (slower) presentation. If you are talking about the full menu...my only advice is to read and understand the sub-menu titles (e.g. "Disp/<audio symbol>, PC") to guess the right one 80% of the times. Pressing the Info button display a little description. Then it takes a little time: they are quite big. I actually did not notice much difference here switching from the LX-5 and the E-M10.

E-M5 II just came out: if there are any real issues or improvements there is a good chance that these will be fixed with the next firmware.
  20. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    After all this im just gonna sell the em5 mk2. Put that money towards some glass would be a better idea