EM5 mk II EVF Display Customisation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RickBowden, Jul 25, 2016.

1. RickBowden

RickBowden Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Richard Bowden
    I'm trying to set up the EVF display to my liking but I've been bit frustrated as the exact setup I would like seems to be unobtainable.
    I'd like to have a completely clean display with no shooting info except for highlight/shadow warning. I can deal with the fact that the aperture and shutter speed pop-up whenever you half press the shutter but what gets me is that all the rest of the shooting info clutter pops up when ever you change the exposure compensation for example.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Gotta get into the menus.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think you can not but there are two alternatives:

1. disable all the display modes except for the blinkies so that the Info button acts as a "blinkies" toggle.

2. Go into the J menu and try EVF "style 2". This will place all the annoying infos at the bottom of the screen

4. RickBowden

RickBowden Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Richard Bowden
    Thanks Klorenzo,

That's as far as I got. Shame all the other distracting info pops up whenever you change exposure.
    The OMD cameras are some of the most customisable cameras out there.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I really hope that Olympus or someone else will release an open API platform so that anyone can write "apps" to customize this things (display, art filters, focus distance indicator, software focus limiter, focus peaking style, time lapse, etc.).

With a market and all, like the Apple/Android world. Samsung could have done it, Olympus made a shy attempt with the Olympus AIR OPC SDK but I think it will take a while, or maybe Sony?, for something like this to happens.

6. RickBowden

RickBowden Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Richard Bowden
    Now that would be something. Come on Olympus.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Olympus would lose a lot of control over the camera if they did that. I suspect that is why this has been so slow to happen. The camera malfunctions because of a bad app and Olympus gets blamed. Apple can rein this in by having a dedicated App store but then you are only buying apps written by someone else. The problem is that there are always far more people who will screw it up then there are competent people that make it work.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, a badly written app could hamper the camera proper functions. But this is true also for Apple/Android apps. And for any Mac or PC application that you install.

I suppose this applies to Apple too but for sure I can write my own Android app and install it on the phone without even passing through the market. And to be honest there is absolutely no quality check from Apple or Google on what you can find on the market. Sometimes they remove something from the market after users complaints, that's the best they do.

I would expect for Olympus something like this: if you contact the support for anything, first thing they ask you to remove any app from the camera, like they often ask to reset the camera to factory settings already.

It's not so easy to write a useful app so I do not see a ton of junk apps spreading around very much. For example a bad peaking implementation can make the display refresh slow and unreadable and drain the battery but the user itself can just remove the app, a forum like this could warn about bad apps and recommend good ones and yet you have the user ratings on the market.

Apps are very limited in what they can do. The "permission" system gives them some extra power but it's still a controlled thing. A manufacturer could choose not to give access to the core systems like the AF, limiting the apps to something related to the user interface like choosing the exposure parameters (TAv mode!), what to display on the screen, how to customize buttons, a different menu' system, etc.

In general I've never heard anyone blaming Apple or Google if Facebook or WhatsApp apps misbehave.