EM5 - Metering in Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GnedTheGnome, Jun 5, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I've been trying to use some manual lenses on my EM5. On my Canon there was a meter, very much like the EV compensation indicator, that told me which direction I needed to go and how close I was to having the proper exposure. But, on the EM5, the only indication that the exposure is right seems to be the flashing aperture indicator, which sometimes seems to never stop flashing, no matter how far I turn the dials in either direction, and other times will indicate correct exposure over several steps. In any case, I'm not getting very accurate results.

Can anyone offer me any advice? Am I missing something? Do I need any special settings? Does it matter whether I am in Manual or Shutter Priority, given the aperture has to be set manually anyway?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It works in all modes - P/A/S/M. The thing to look for is the EV compensation indicator. When in P/A the EV compensation indicator is just that - the camera picks the right exposure and adjusting EV compensation should be reflected by the indcator. In S/M, you are in manual control of the shutter, and the EV compensation indicator should show what the camera thinks is the difference to its metering level. +1.0 means it thinks you're overexposing by 1 stop, etc.

Be aware of your ISO setting, however. If you have auto-ISO enabled in S/M, the camera will still auto-adjust your exposure to it's metering, within your ISO limits. When this happens the EV compensation indicator will read 0.0 until it hits an ISO limit.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Ah. Maybe it's the auto ISO that's throwing me off. I'll play around with it some more. Thanks.
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    It is at the bottom of the screen. Also try to press Info several times to cycle all the display modes.