EM5 Mark II Magnification and Focus Peaking - Question for owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ean10775, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I spent about an hour this morning with the EM5II at my local camera shop and I'm nearly sold on the camera. I do however have a question about setting up magnification and focus peaking.

For owners of this camera who use legacy lenses, is there a way to enable a zoomed in view of the focus area with a single press of a button rather than having to press once to show the green focus box and then press again for the zoomed in view?

Second, is there a way to enable focus peaking to remain active once the shutter is half pressed to stabilize the view through the EVF?

2. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I asked similar questions about the EM10mark ii I had. I had to set up two of the programmable buttons, one for each function. It works well for the legacy glass. Press a button for peaking and it stays on as long as you have it active and the same for magnification when you press it's button. I sold that camera to my daughter yesterday and got the EM5 mark ii. I'm hoping to shoot with my Nikon lens today so I'll set it up on that camera.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    That's great that focus peaking stays on until you turn it off, however, I noticed that it does go away in the EVF as soon as you half press the shutter. With longer focal length lenses, that stabilized view through the EVF is something I really want to leverage, but would prefer if I could set up the camera to keep focus peaking active while the view is stabilized. Is it possible to set up the camera to do this?

4. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I didn't get a chance to shoot at lunch today. I guess I didn't notice it turning off with the half press of the shutter button on the EM10 mk ii. I manual focus and fire. I was doing water foul on the water so when I got focused I fired. I'll do my best to check this afternoon when I get home.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's a setting, you can get it to make the focus aids remain active on half press.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I went on a little shoot today. I used my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens on the EM5 mark ii. I quickly assigned two of the function buttons for peaking and magnify. Seems you are right about the first click bringing up the green box before magnify. I didn't spend too much time messing with it. I'm going to setup my buttons and dials next week so I will see if I can get the green box to go away. The shot below was at 200mm f2.8 with the nikon lens.
    P2290079.

7. AlaskaAce

AlaskaAce Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Did you use autofocus? Great subject separation. Nice to see some shots with adapted lenses.

8. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    No...it was manual focus. I like the separation also. Thanks.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Well, I was pretty much sold on the EM5 Mark II, but the Olympus promotion that started today puts the EM10 Mark II body at $549 compared to $899 for the EM5 Mark II. Seeing as the high resolution shot mode would be a novelty for me and the 1/8000 sec shutter is meaningless for how I shoot now that electronic shutter options go up to 1/16000 sec on both cameras. I also don't really need weather sealing seeing as I don't own, nor intend to own, any of the zoom lenses. I would certainly appreciate the larger EVF, but $350 is a big premium for that one feature. What made you decide to sell your EM10 Mark II and get the EM5 Mark II if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking.

10. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I too struggled with blowing the extra cash for the EM5 mark ii for the small amount of upgrades it offers plus taking a hit on selling a practically new camera to my daughter for $150 less than I paid for it with the compact zoom kit lens. Basically I decided I did want the high-res shooting mode, I like having the SD card slot on the side vs on the bottom of the EM10 mark ii, and I wanted the weather sealing too. I have the 12-40 pro lens so this completes my weather sealed compact camera kit. I'm hoping that when the new EM1 mark ii or what ever it will be called is introduced, and if it has hand held high-res, that feature would come available as a firmware upgrade to the 5 mark ii. Other than those things, I think the EM10 mark ii is a very nice camera with excellent dial layout and with a built in flash.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks Jeff.

12. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    You can set it that if you touch the focus ring, it will magnify (it doesn't lock into said view though) and while doing so, you can use the front dial to adjust the magnification ratio, which also works when having the shutter halfway pressed, it does not work when taking a test picture however (which is odd), nor does it work if you have it set to AF only (without MF override)
    The option is under the focus assist settings, I think that's the closest you'll get to your desired effect, i haven't found a different way to get past the magnification indication :/

13. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I have both an e-M10 mk ii and an eM5 Mk ii. It may sound like a small thing, but I really do like the side entry for the SD card on the eM5 ii. I mean I really like it. I have challenges getting the SD card out of the eM10 ii. However, I have just as apt to pick up and use my eM10 ii as I do the eM5 ii. I like them both and don't feel hindered when I use the eM10. I do like the addition of the High Res option of the eM5 as well as the side entry SD card. I think there is an additional function button on the eM5.

Both are very nice to use and I could understand why one would choose one over the other for the reasons that have been stated in previous posts.l

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks Alex. I was referring to manual focus legacy lenses though. Oddly, I actually really dislike the automatic magnification with native AF lenses since I always seem to bump the MF ring inadvertently and bring up the magnified view.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks Steve. I did see that and ended up going that route but in silver.

17. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Ah, my bad, must've missed that ;) (And yeah, i keep bumping them as well, but i have it set to only peak, which i don't mind :) )