1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 + manual flash question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kakapo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    I'm interested in getting a cheap manual flash to play with on my EM5, something like a Yongnuo 560iii or Neewer TT520. I know these both work with suitable radio triggers, but can I mount them directly in the hot shoe? As neither flash is designed for the EM5 I'm concerned whether the flash could do any damage to my beloved camera, electrically or otherwise.

Many thanks.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've never had any issues with third party or off brand flashes and an E-M1 (with the exception of not firing (some Cactus equipment), or only firing at full power (Fuji)).

The E-M5 mark 2 may have issues with third party flashes however as it provides voltage on an extra pin (There's a potential to cause damage to camera or flash if it powers up and is shorted).

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've used Nikon SB-600, SB-26, SB-28 on camera with an EM1 and EM5 Mk II.
    So long as the flash has manual controls, you should be fine. A modern flash should not cause any issues with voltages, where as older ones might. it never hurts to research the flash though just to make sure.

The big issue is going to be balance. All those flashes are large and heavy. I always support the flash with my left hand if using these flashes in portrait orientation.

4. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    No problem mounted on the hot shoe although I prefer use triggers anyway. It's pretty easy for E-M5. I use all my flashes (Yongnuo, Metz, Canon, and Sunpak) with Yongnuo RF-603C II on E-M5, of course in manual mode only. Just remember use the Canon version RF-603 II, not the Nikon version.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's the Canon fit version that people have had problems with. Nikon is the recommended version of Yongnuo products for use with Olympus.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I don't think so. On the contrary the Canon version really shines. This is from my own experience.

7. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    The OP in that case was using an E-M1. Besides that that's the only case someone says Nikon version works. If you search RF-603II related posts and reviews, you will find Canon version is almost the universal version.

8. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    Thanks all. I have a tripod for the flash but I thought I might like to mount it on the camera every now and then.

I have the E-M5 I so I assume it'll work much the same as your E-M1?

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My Canon mount YN560-TX trigger/controller works fine with both my previous E-M5 Mk1 and current E-M1. The YN560-IIIs themselves just have a single central firing pin so are universal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I second what wjiang said. I have used YN560TX controller on both EM5 and EM1 with my YN560-III flash flawlessly. I had previously used the Cannon version of the RF603 (not sure if version 1 or 2) where you had to do the modifications to it (removing/changing pin contact or something along that line) on my EM5 to trigger my FL-36R when it was in softbox or on a stand with an umbrella. For the price of both the combo of the 560TX and 560III can't be beat.