EM5 makes manual glass sooo fun to use...

OdzBodkinz

Mu-43 Regular
EM5 and 85mm 1.8 Nikkor AiS

P5030022-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And two with the 105mm Nikkor f/4 Micro

P5030028-2-X2.jpg

P5030037-2-X2.jpg

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
EM5 and 85mm 1.8 Nikkor AiS

P5030022-X2.jpg

And two with the 105mm Nikkor f/4 Micro

P5030028-2-X2.jpg

P5030037-2-X2.jpg
nice! ibis set on one?

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Hiep
I've been playing around with legacy lenses on the E-M5. Has anyone found a way to keep the camera in magnify mode while half-pressing the shutter to activate live view stabilization?

When I half-press the shutter, the display goes back to non-magnified view...

Edit: Just found the answer. Doh! So it seems you can set it to stay in magnified mode. Phew!

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
Yes it does make legacy lenses even more of a joy to use. Since dogs seem to be featuring here, here's Peggy, shot with a 90mm Elmar from 1946, with the E-M5 set to 3200 in quite dim light. Lens almost wide open.
P5035774.jpg

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
My E-M5 arrived today and I agree, the camera makes using legacy glass very nice. I'm trying the Fn2 button for digital tele-converter just to digital magnify view 2x (for focusing) and it works well for that purpose. Instant 2x with one touch and then away again with one touch. I need to try the magnify feature as well. The various controls on the camera are excellent.

With Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens
P5070024-Edit.jpg

P5070036.jpg

With Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens
P5070042.jpg

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is there a way to keep the focus square active?
I have function 2 for magnify,but I have to press first, to call up the focus square, then again to magnify.
I also have function 1 set for digital tele converter which doubles the focal length of any lens, but I,first have to press ok to make the green square go away before it works.

OdzBodkinz

Mu-43 Regular
Once the magnify reticle box is active it is only one push to magnify the image in the box.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Thank you guys for the kind remarks. I'm enjoying the camera quite a bit with my legacy glass.

Is there a way to keep the focus square active? I have function 2 for magnify,but I have to press first, to call up the focus square, then again to magnify.
I also have function 1 set for digital tele converter which doubles the focal length of any lens, but I,first have to press ok to make the green square go away before it works.

Not sure of the answer. I'm just now trying out the magnify on Fn2... works quickly with two quick presses (if the focus square is where you want it to be) otherwise pretty quick to bring
up the square... move it where you want it to be, then tap again to magnify.

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
OdzBodkinz said:
Rock steady view in the viewfinder courtesy of the new IBIS. Makes focusing a longer lens a dream.

In addition the EVF adjusts brightness/exposure so that even stopped down you can still see to focus. a major issue with using manual lenses on my 1Dmk3 was I'd have to be wide open to focus (using a split screen focusing screen helped) and then stop down to a desired aperture if preferred before shooting.

By the way I want to mention something about the magnify feature. One way I test legacy glass is to see how easily I can manually focus without having to use the magnify feature. Great glass offers excellent contrast and thus in many lighting situations, not all, I should be able to focus without the need to magnify. I look for lenses that have a proper throw that allows me to fine tune the focus. I also test my acuity by focusing first, then magnify and see how well I did. After several tests if I find that when I magnify there was no need for further adjusting, then I know I can generally hit focus with that lens without needing to bother with that extra 2step dance.

tonys05

Mu-43 Rookie
I agree completely with the IBIS. I hooked up my ZF.2 lenses (28/2, 35/2, 50MP and 100MP) first to my XPro1; then to my rented OM-D. about 12 shots each, indoors. No keepers at from any of the Fuji; 3 real keepers from the OM-D, and a couple marginal

Latest threads

Top Bottom